Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

So, my youngest girl is in Kindergarten. She is 5 years old and has global developmental delays. It is suspected that she may have some learning disabilities. She's been in school for almost 3 years now (2 in pre-k and this year in Kindergarten). She receives speech and language therapy, as well as occupational therapy. When it comes to her speech, her intelligibility rate during a conversation if the context is not known is only about 25%. That means if she's starts a conversation with you and you don't know the subject, you'll only understand about 25% of what she says. I share all this information so it can be understood just how amazing the news I'm about to share is. My daughter received an Acheivers award this morning. It's not honor roll but it's an award only given to students who made a huge effort during the quarter. Kindergarten grading is done on a numbers scale, 1-4. My daughter has had 1's the first 2 quarters. Well, during the 3rd quarter, she worked so hard she brought all of her 1's up to 2's and even got a 3 in math!!! (a three is what most children who are working on grade level gets). I am so excited and happy for her. She has a lot of struggles but receiving this award really gave her a boost of confidence and showed her that hard work really does pay off. 

I feel the need to share this on CM because my family doesn't understand how exciting this is. We are a family of over achievers. I personally got straight A's up until college where I got  a B in Advanced Biology (the only grade I ever got that wasn't an A) so my family expects my children to be the same. Well, Zajanah will never be a straight A student but I accept that about her. She worked so hard to bring her grades up and I couldn't be more happy! My family feels like if it isn't honor roll then it isn't an achievement. I just wanted some other moms to recognize what an achievement this is for her.

Please keep it positive. I've gotten enough negativity from my family. Thank you!

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Replies (441-450):
lapalmamama
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM

My thoughts exactly.  Hard work will get you much further than jsut sliding through and getting thingd easily.  What a great achievement!

Quoting GwenMB:

That is wonderful!  What a hard worker she is!  Being a hard worker is more important than getting straight A's, IMO.  Too many smart people get good grades w/o much effort & don't know how to really work for something.  Your daughter already know how to work for things & that will really help her as she grows.  You should be very proud of her!

Your family is nuts to not recognize what an awesome acheivement this is for your DD.

ZoZosMoma
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
That is AWESOME and it really brings tears to my eyes I'm so happy you chose to share thiswonderful news! I have toask though what is global developmental delays? I've never heard of it if you don't mind sharing, if you do & I offended by asking then I'm sorry that was not my intention
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2many747
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:03 AM
There is no offense taken. Global developmental delays are a set of delays in multiple areas of development that impacts a child's life. These areas are:

Speech and language
Vision
Motor skills (movement)
Social and emotional skills
Cognitive skills (thinking)

For my daughter, her delays are in all areas except vision. Her skill set ranges from those of a 2 1/2 year old (her speech) to about 4 1/2 (her social and emotional skills). If you have any other questions feel free to ask and thank you for your kind words!

Quoting ZoZosMoma:

That is AWESOME and it really brings tears to my eyes I'm so happy you chose to share thiswonderful news! I have toask though what is global developmental delays? I've never heard of it if you don't mind sharing, if you do & I offended by asking then I'm sorry that was not my intention

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyangel0102
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Congrats to your daughter.  You both should be proud of yourselves for all the hard work  you all have put into getting her where she is today.  I am glad that I am not the only one with a kindergartener getting special help.  Well mine is still in the testing stage, but I do believe that she will be recieving speech and language help if not before the year is up then over the summer.  Your daughter is very pretty and very good at her age.  If your family can't see that then they are the ones missing out!

Keep up the great work!

massenberg
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Remarkable!!!!!!!  I am so proud of her and i no you r too mom !!!!!

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Congrats....She is a cutie

mommyofmonkey16
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM

That is so amazing!

iluvalex
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:02 PM
I'm sorry how do you pronounce her name
mom2many747
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Za-ha-na :-)

Quoting iluvalex:

I'm sorry how do you pronounce her name

cherisereese222
by on May. 4, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I am so proud of your daughter for you and proud of you as a mom for reconginzing what an accomplishment she has made, shes lucky to have you in her corner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)