Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

So, my youngest girl is in Kindergarten. She is 5 years old and has global developmental delays. It is suspected that she may have some learning disabilities. She's been in school for almost 3 years now (2 in pre-k and this year in Kindergarten). She receives speech and language therapy, as well as occupational therapy. When it comes to her speech, her intelligibility rate during a conversation if the context is not known is only about 25%. That means if she's starts a conversation with you and you don't know the subject, you'll only understand about 25% of what she says. I share all this information so it can be understood just how amazing the news I'm about to share is. My daughter received an Acheivers award this morning. It's not honor roll but it's an award only given to students who made a huge effort during the quarter. Kindergarten grading is done on a numbers scale, 1-4. My daughter has had 1's the first 2 quarters. Well, during the 3rd quarter, she worked so hard she brought all of her 1's up to 2's and even got a 3 in math!!! (a three is what most children who are working on grade level gets). I am so excited and happy for her. She has a lot of struggles but receiving this award really gave her a boost of confidence and showed her that hard work really does pay off. 

I feel the need to share this on CM because my family doesn't understand how exciting this is. We are a family of over achievers. I personally got straight A's up until college where I got  a B in Advanced Biology (the only grade I ever got that wasn't an A) so my family expects my children to be the same. Well, Zajanah will never be a straight A student but I accept that about her. She worked so hard to bring her grades up and I couldn't be more happy! My family feels like if it isn't honor roll then it isn't an achievement. I just wanted some other moms to recognize what an achievement this is for her.

Please keep it positive. I've gotten enough negativity from my family. Thank you!

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Replies (31-40):
Zadidoll
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Aww! Cognrats!

In regards to her speech impediments, have they checked her for Speech Apraxia? My eldest son was much like your daughter and because of that was held back in kingergarten so when he graduates he'll be 19 since he's born in May. They knew he had ADHD and Speech Apraxia as well as both fine and gross motor skills. He's now in the fifth grade and at the top of the class. While his speech still is difficult to understand he reads at a high school level, he's fantastic at math and science, So it's HIGHLY possible that while your daughter is exhibiting learning disabilities now and has speech problems that she'll surprise everyone.

Quoting mom2many747:

So, my youngest girl is in Kindergarten. She is 5 years old and has global developmental delays. It is suspected that she may have some learning disabilities. She's been in school for almost 3 years now (2 in pre-k and this year in Kindergarten). She receives speech and language therapy, as well as occupational therapy. When it comes to her speech, her intelligibility rate during a conversation if the context is not known is only about 25%. That means if she's starts a conversation with you and you don't know the subject, you'll only understand about 25% of what she says. I share all this information so it can be understood just how amazing the news I'm about to share is. My daughter received an Acheivers award this morning. It's not honor roll but it's an award only given to students who made a huge effort during the quarter. Kindergarten grading is done on a numbers scale, 1-4. My daughter has had 1's the first 2 quarters. Well, during the 3rd quarter, she worked so hard she brought all of her 1's up to 2's and even got a 3 in math!!! (a three is what most children who are working on grade level gets). I am so excited and happy for her. She has a lot of struggles but receiving this award really gave her a boost of confidence and showed her that hard work really does pay off. 

I feel the need to share this on CM because my family doesn't understand how exciting this is. We are a family of over achievers. I personally got straight A's up until college where I got  a B in Advanced Biology (the only grade I ever got that wasn't an A) so my family expects my children to be the same. Well, Zajanah will never be a straight A student but I accept that about her. She worked so hard to bring her grades up and I couldn't be more happy! My family feels like if it isn't honor roll then it isn't an achievement. I just wanted some other moms to recognize what an achievement this is for her.

Please keep it positive. I've gotten enough negativity from my family. Thank you!

RADmomma
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Way to go little one!!!

Awesome job!!

Good job momma!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thanush
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

She's a cutie! She looks so proud and she should be! I wish her to keep going up in her education and life.

Lovingmomfarm
1 mom liked this

That is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

netters7189
1 mom liked this

Yeah!!!!!!!  Woot, Woot!!  I'm doing a happy dance!!!!  This is an awesome acheivement!!!!  Sounds like she is trying to perform at her personal best!!!!  That is fantastic!

Laura1427
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

She is seriously adorable.

That hard work is what is going to get her ahead in life. The high grades look nice now, but when she is working her butt off to make it in the "real world", it's that hard work and determination that will get her through. Good for her, you are right to be SUPER proud of her hard work.

ladyraven16
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
That's great! I know how it feels to see your child achieve their best even though it isn't everyone else's best LOL! Yay for her!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IamMex11
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I am proud of both of you!!

kayandjsmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

You go sweetie!!!

Great job. And definitely brag mamas. She did awesome.

LoveMyKBabies
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations to her!! That is awesome! She is adorable btw :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)