Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

So, my youngest girl is in Kindergarten. She is 5 years old and has global developmental delays. It is suspected that she may have some learning disabilities. She's been in school for almost 3 years now (2 in pre-k and this year in Kindergarten). She receives speech and language therapy, as well as occupational therapy. When it comes to her speech, her intelligibility rate during a conversation if the context is not known is only about 25%. That means if she's starts a conversation with you and you don't know the subject, you'll only understand about 25% of what she says. I share all this information so it can be understood just how amazing the news I'm about to share is. My daughter received an Acheivers award this morning. It's not honor roll but it's an award only given to students who made a huge effort during the quarter. Kindergarten grading is done on a numbers scale, 1-4. My daughter has had 1's the first 2 quarters. Well, during the 3rd quarter, she worked so hard she brought all of her 1's up to 2's and even got a 3 in math!!! (a three is what most children who are working on grade level gets). I am so excited and happy for her. She has a lot of struggles but receiving this award really gave her a boost of confidence and showed her that hard work really does pay off. 

I feel the need to share this on CM because my family doesn't understand how exciting this is. We are a family of over achievers. I personally got straight A's up until college where I got  a B in Advanced Biology (the only grade I ever got that wasn't an A) so my family expects my children to be the same. Well, Zajanah will never be a straight A student but I accept that about her. She worked so hard to bring her grades up and I couldn't be more happy! My family feels like if it isn't honor roll then it isn't an achievement. I just wanted some other moms to recognize what an achievement this is for her.

Please keep it positive. I've gotten enough negativity from my family. Thank you!

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Replies (41-50):
.ChiMama.
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations to her! She sounds like an amazing kiddo.

Jenn8604
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations Zajanah! Way to go!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PhoenixV
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Good job :) I would be very proud. :)

psych_mom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Yay! So awesome for her! Congratulations to her. I read on the first page where a mom said something about her "A" being a "C"- ignore stuff like that. This is her moment to shine and shine brightly. She worked so hard and to get to grade level where all the other students are, a place she had to work extra hard to be, well that is awesome!

ame85
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
That's so great! And she is such a sweet little girl :-)
MommieCotter42
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
That is an amazing story. Great job to her.
Rhiannon1980
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
That is awsome of her. Tell her keep up the good work.
aurora.dove
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

That's really wonderful! Want an amazing little girl! Congrats to her on her award!

MelanieMans
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I think an award like that is wayyyyy better than honor roll. Anyone can get an honor roll but not everyone can accomplish what she did even with her delays. I cant believe your family wouldnt see this as something important...........well Im happy for her :)

myboysRmyhero
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Congrats to a sweet little girl for all her hard work.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)