Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you do in this situation?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM
  • 19 Replies

Your child is in a sport, lined up for an activity. The kid behind your child is touching them. ( Kicking, tickling, grabbing etc.. you get the point lol ). Your child is asking them to stop, but isn't visibly upset or anything. Their coach or instructor ( whoever is in charge of said sport ) does not notice. This isn't the first time this has happened either.

So what would you do? Would you tell the person incharge in private about the situation? Or just forget about it? Or...???

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I let it go.  It is between the kids and no one seems to be getting hurt, so no reason for me to get involved.

I honestly wonder what sport you'd play that the person behind you for the activity is close enough to be touching you though.  Every sport that I know of requires space between the participants.

jen113000
by Jenna on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Lined up to where the first person is doing the activity and everyone else is waiting their turn. Big space is only behind the first person.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I let it go.  It is between the kids and no one seems to be getting hurt, so no reason for me to get involved.

I honestly wonder what sport you'd play that the person behind you for the activity is close enough to be touching you though.  Every sport that I know of requires space between the participants.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM
This happened to my DS A LOT when he was in beginning boys gymnastics. He was bigger than all the other kids but DS is the quiet one and two of the younger boys loved to "poke the bear" as we called it.

I let him deal with it a few times but it continued. I finally mentioned it to the coach, who was aware, but couldn't do much. She did talk to them, they were just a hand full.

They moved DS into pre-team boys, so he is with a more mature group.
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Depends on how far it goes. Ds has a hard time keeping his hands off of the other kids in tee ball when they are lined up to bat because he has spd and being in the middle of a line is torture for him. He still gets in trouble for it by me but it's not always possible for me to do something about it right then.
Now last year in tee ball my son flipped. Ended up dragging him off of the field kicking and screaming mid game for throwing dirt at, hitting, pushing, and spitting at kids on the other team. He was in huge trouble needless to say. But he was afraid to be alone and having terrible nightmares. He didn't want to go back to tee ball. Finally told me one of the kids told him he was going to hit him over the head with a bat to kill him then he explained to him how he was going to tear him apart slowly limb by limb. This kid was 5 and mine who has anxiety on top of his spd was 4! So yes I told the coach who yelled at the other kid (his grandson) and talked to my son. Plus he started having parents rotate being in charge of the dug outs.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Instead of having the kids standing around doing nothing while waiting their turn to do whatever it is they are waiting for, the coach should have the assistant coaches, or parents, working on other skills with the kids.

For example, in baseball, there would be one child practicing batting while all of the other kids are with other grown ups working on their fielding skills.  This way no one is bored and fidgeting while waiting their turn to practice.  The little ones really do need to be engaged in activity as much as possible to hold their interest in the sport.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I would probably let it go.  If it continues and your child gets upset about it, then I'd encourage him/her to try to handle it.  If it continues past that, then I'd get involved.

corrinacs
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:59 PM

YES, in fact, this is happeneing in my son's Tae Kwon Do class.  I've hinted this has been a problem.

The trouble is that they have a class that's awy too large just for one person to teach.  They used to break up the students into smaller groups and they'd work on things that they were prepared to work on.  But, unfortunately, its hindering my son's ability to learn.  And he actually starts jumping in on the silliness. I've had to tell him to stop many times :/.

He's supposed to graduate to his next belt next week and he's NOT prepared because of the class that's been too large!  I'm taking him in to get extra help, and I'll definitely bring up my concerns.

MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM

If that's the first time there was a problem,and my child wasn't upset/hurt by it,I'd let it go.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I would talk to the person in charge quietly and let them know, maybe next time they won't line them up together

hr3boys
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM
If my child has asked the person to stop and they r not stopping I would talk to the childs parents and make them aware of it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN