Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Indiana ... school staff could carry gun

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 20 Replies

Just saw on the news that it is possible that Indiana passes a thing that a teacher or school staff member carry a gun.  Right now only police officers can do so but that could soon change.  I teach in Indiana and I would never ever feel comfortable carrying a gun at work.  I honestly dont know which one of our school staff members would actually want that responsiblity.  Luckily, we have a police detective on duty most days (unless he is called away for a case) and he carries a gun.  But what would happen on the days that he is not there....

Would you feel comfortable with a school staff member carrying a gun at your child's school other than a police officer?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Yes, I would.  Then again, there are quite a few of our staff members who are licensed to carry concealed and are used to having a gun on them outside of school.  This would include myself.

XOXOnBubbles
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be fine with it.  My hubby has his concealed weapons permit and so do several other adult family members on both his side and my side of the family.  We are very pro-gun rights.  My hubby grew up in Wyoming and they have passed a law that anyone can carry a concealed weapon in that state without a permit. 

Signs like this one are very common in Wyoming too...they can be seen anywhere from office buildings to Taco Bell. 

corrinacs
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM

NO!  At first I thought this could be a solution, but the more and more I think about it the worse it gets!

I was listening to NPR not long ago and they had a segment about it.  They spoke with the school's resource officer about his views on the subject.  He said "NO!".  The number one reason being...../

If you were called to a school because of a shooting, you are looking for a GUN!  If you see a teacher with a gun, you have no idea if that's the gun that's causing the problem or not and you are immediately required to take that teacher down!  Therefore, it will end up hindering efforts of police officers to take care of the actual problem at hand.  There's no way you can alert police officers quickly of all staff members that are gun carriers.  Its just impractical.

Besides, whose to say that one of these teachers aren't going to be one of the perpetrators? They could be just as insane as the students or like Newtown.  I just don't think its a good idea.

And I'm a huge gun owner!

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I don't think I would be comfortable with it. The teacher could be the one committing the crime.

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I am a teacher and I would worry about teachers having guns.  My reasoning is what if it's the teacher that goes off the deep end?  With such an easy access to a weapon, I'd fear my child may get shot at.  Highly unlikely, but we teachers stress out and have bad days too.  Students have said that teachers here have thrown things at them, what would stop them from shooting?  Not saying it would, just looking at the what ifs.  Also, if a student knows a teacher is packing and knows where they keep it, they may get to it.  Just the other day, a student got into my desk and stole my headphones.  I know guns should be locked up but you never know.

family in the van   Mom of four

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it I have a cc permit, as does df. Though I have a hard tome imagining the teachers I know at our school carrying... LOL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LOVEZOEY
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM

And that is why I'm proud to live in Indiana!

jamianne
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:27 PM

No.  I have nothing against guns - dh owns several and I go shooting with him fairly often.  However, I would not be comfortable with the teachers or staff in my childrens schools carrying guns.  The school safety officer is part of the police department and he doesn't even carry a gun.

JTROX
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Some school districts in OH do. I'm OK with it.
t1gger143
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM
I'm a gun owner and a teacher. It would be a pain in the rear to carry a weapon. I have a hard enough time with my phone. However, I work in a rough area and cannot have my gun in my car on school property. That part sucks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)