Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Hes starting K, need some advice

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 29 Replies

Hi!

So my son is starting K this year(hes my first). He will be on the older end as he missed he cut off last year. He did some preschool last year because the daycare where we moved to offered it, he was in for about 6 months. During that time he did awesome and his "end of year" review showed him on target with the others.

My concern is the more I read and hear about K is that they are expecting a lot more than what I though.

He can write his first name ok(its a little big lol) and can write all letters but some he needs help remembering on. He can tell them all by sight and can say the alphabet. He can spell No and Yes. He knows all the sounds and has been sounding short words out. He knows all shapes and colors. He can count to 100. He can kind of do some simple addition and subtraction with manipulatives. He can tell time for the most part on a digital watch and understands am and pm.

Hes good with the "process" of school from going to preschool, his teacher marked him pretty high on that, hes good at raising his hand, getting in line, waiting his turn and adds to discussion. He has trouble with talking to his friends though lol, hes EXTREMELY chatty and has a lot of ideas and a vivid imagination.

So I have until August to fill in any areas that he may need bumped up with, I really dont want him to start behind, Im ok with "on par" but I want him to at least be on par. Any advice would be awesome!

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

The only thing that I would add in is sight words. Depending on your district, they will have varying wishes on sight words from 25-100 by the end of K. Have him practice his writing but he sounds on par with that and the rest. 

Diatech12
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Thank you! I'll probably go buy some flash cards today then, maybe the papers with the dotted middle lines would help with the writing?

Quoting momtoBrenna:

The only thing that I would add in is sight words. Depending on your district, they will have varying wishes on sight words from 25-100 by the end of K. Have him practice his writing but he sounds on par with that and the rest. 

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Yes, the paper with the lines will help with sizing and a popsicle stick or his finger will help with spacing between words. :) My ds is starting K in the Fall too but he doesn't like to show what he knows. He will be virtual schooling though so it won't be as big of a deal. 

Quoting Diatech12:

Thank you! I'll probably go buy some flash cards today then, maybe the papers with the dotted middle lines would help with the writing?

Quoting momtoBrenna:

AleaKat
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this
My son didn't know how to read or write at all before he started kinder and he is right on point with his class....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Sounds like he is on par or above average I would not worry.  I dont remember seeing if he could count to 100 they asked us to have my dd do that and then no one in the class could but her.  So I would not worry.

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM
He sounds good to me too. when my oldest went she could kind of write her name and could kind of count etc and she did fabulous in k. My youngest is in a different preschool program and it seems like shes more ahead than my oldest was. I dont know if its cuz its a diff district or what but she is ready for K. We havent started site words but i know in K my oldest brought home like 15 or 20 per quarter that they worked on. So i wouldnt worry about that to much either. Dont want him to be bored and get in trouble. Im sure he will do great :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diatech12
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Thank you ladies. Ive just seen other posts(not in here) about kers having to write sentances and things I assumed they STARTED learing in K but were not expected to master(for their level) in 1st grade.

Things just seem to be moving so quickly with education that Im worried we havent worked on enough at home.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM
4 moms liked this

It sounds like he knows more than enough already going into kindergarten.

I would work on the things like tying shoes, being able to button shorts and zip jackets without assistance, and things like that.

Diatech12
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

LOL we have been working on the buttoning short/pants. We just had an incident with it yesterday, he was refusing to even try(even though I know he can), so I asked him what he was going to do when he got to school, he just shrugged his shoulders. I asked him if he was going to walk around all day at school with his pants falling off because he wouldnt button them. He said no, and then buttoned his pants the first try!

Shoe tying is one we are working on though, but I didnt think about things like that, thank you!!

Quoting Barabell:

It sounds like he knows more than enough already going into kindergarten.

I would work on the things like tying shoes, being able to button shorts and zip jackets without assistance, and things like that.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM

He sounds like he's doing great and will be more than ready :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)