Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My poor Dd is doom if I help her in math *UPDATE*

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 23 Replies
Example teni has 16 berries and she has 2 more than martha. Why oh why did i tell dd it wsd 18. I suck at math and dd is doom*cries*

I spoke with her teacher who told me that the directions were confusing and none of the kids got it right. Today one of the moms in another kinder class called me to ask me about that particular problem. So I'm glad I'm not that dumb lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Bump
squeekers
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM

oh just wait until they add an alphabet into your math. i am mathmatically dyslexic and I have a junior in high school and algebra II.

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Nooooooo don't scare me. I just saw 9th grade math and I almost had an anxiety attack lol

Quoting squeekers:

oh just wait until they add an alphabet into your math. i am mathmatically dyslexic and I have a junior in high school and algebra II.

chcon
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Relax, make sure she brings home book and notes, and learn along with her. :)
Devious333
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Lol dh will be helping in the math department. I will only be able to help up until Algebra. Well, some of it. I'm horrible at math.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k1kelley
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

That is why my DH does math homework with the kids. I also have a junior in high school-yuck!

squeekers
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM

what I started doing at 5th grade math was going in for tutoring with dd after school one on one with the teacher. i did this every year's math until 10th gade when she got into geometry and i got too lost.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Nooooooo don't scare me. I just saw 9th grade math and I almost had an anxiety attack lol

Quoting squeekers:

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I know how you feel.  Those darn story problems can trip us up.   What i had to do for the problem you listed was draw the same number circles for both people and then cross off 2 for the one who had less.  This where comprehension really plays a role in math as well as other subjects.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

The way some things are worded now is so confusing. . . I've felt like a dunce w/ some of my kids' math, too, even though I should know how to do it.

janitablue
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I agreed and if it is overwhelm there is youtube and also a tutoring. Don't give up . She can do it. 

Quoting chcon:

Relax, make sure she brings home book and notes, and learn along with her. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)