Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Better "junk" food

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:13 PM
  • 33 Replies

The USDA recently released proposed nutrition standards for all foods sold in school. Check out what vending options look like now in many schools – and what they’d look like after.

What do you think of these proposed changes?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM

It would be cool if they can make it work.  DD would want everything but carrots and yogurt.  The only thing she would eat from first chart is the potato chips and even that is iffy.

janitablue
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I remember watching Good Morning America about teenagers YouTube video protest the healthy choices that was given to them in  the school cafeteria. The concept is great but  I wonder will the kid except change.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Great in theory, but teens want their sugar and caffeine to keep them awake. Our biggest sellers in our coffee shop w/ the after-school crowd (we're across the street from a high school) are the caffeinated drinks, the candy, and the chocolate muffins. . . 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I feel the same way.  I can remember when I was in HS, I had a Dr. Pepper and Cheetos every single day between school and cheer practice.  For lunch I had nachos, blue raspberry slushy, and a scooter crunch ice cream bar.  Great choices.  lol  I don't think that I would have been very happy if someone removed my junk food choices and replaced them with yogurt and carrots.

Quoting wakymom:

Great in theory, but teens want their sugar and caffeine to keep them awake. Our biggest sellers in our coffee shop w/ the after-school crowd (we're across the street from a high school) are the caffeinated drinks, the candy, and the chocolate muffins. . . 

jaytee
by Jen on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Children (teenagers especially) won't accept this change and I can't say that I blame them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I honestly feel like we are doing this generation of kids a huge disservice by removing all of the unhealthy options from their lives.  We aren't teaching them anything about making wise choices or the importance of a healthy diet.  Kids don't learn how to eat the "bad stuff" in moderation because it isn't an option any longer.  Completely banning something only makes kids want it more, especially teenagers.

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I think thank goodness im not in school anymore. But if I was in school id buy candy bars from.sam's club to sell in the lunch room. And turn a good profit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Hope it works

family in the van   Mom of four

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Hope it works how?  What do you hope it accomplishes?

As a high school teacher, how do you think something like this would be received with your students?

Quoting soymujer:

Hope it works

sstripedmonkey
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM
I agree, my mother raised us like that and once I was an adult that's all I ate was junk. I'm trying to teach my own kids different, but its hard when you don't like healthy food.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I honestly feel like we are doing this generation of kids a huge disservice by removing all of the unhealthy options from their lives.  We aren't teaching them anything about making wise choices or the importance of a healthy diet.  Kids don't learn how to eat the "bad stuff" in moderation because it isn't an option any longer.  Completely banning something only makes kids want it more, especially teenagers.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN