Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

fix one bad habit, another emerges *update*

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:34 AM
  • 9 Replies

This has been my week in childcare and reminds me yet again why I do not do in home care on a permanent basis.  I am watching a 5 yr old who has had a bad habit of lying.  It is just their automatic response to any question asked or if any situation arises. Yesterday we did pretty good with a wonderful decrease of that bad habit when another popped up.  They started using their father (parents are split, lives with mom) as a threat and he would come after us because we were rude.  Her perception of rude is when I was firm with house rules and behavior or if she did not want to eat her food.  I let her mom know about it so she could be aware of the child perhaps using that towards other adults or children when she was upset.

On a positive note, her reading this week has seemed to improve or she has chosen to show her skills to me in the reading area.  Every day we set aside a certain amount of time where she and dd both read out loud to me or we use starfall since they will sound out the words in their stories better than i can.

I am very proud of my dd that she can be patient and tolerant at times when the other acts up.  It shows me that we did well with the consistence of her consequences and firm house rules.

Both girls earned 2 days of going to the park for 2 hrs each day with their good behavior and i think it helped burn some of that excess energy,  Now tomorrow we are supposed to be getting a huge rain storm so will be indoor bound.  I think we will try baking cookies for a focused (sp) activity.

We made it through the week and both girls earned a special treat of cupcake and apple juice. They were so bored they offered to sweep the kitchen floor today since it was raining outside

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
littlelambe2
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Why is going to the park something they have to earn? Should outdoor play really be a reward?

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:01 AM

It was set up with mom that it would be a reward for listening when we asked the child to do a task.  We do outdoor play every day unless raining.  The reward was the BIG park across town not the one just down the street.

Quoting littlelambe2:

Why is going to the park something they have to earn? Should outdoor play really be a reward?

littlelambe2
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:09 AM

That makes sense. I totally misunderstood. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

It was set up with mom that it would be a reward for listening when we asked the child to do a task.  We do outdoor play every day unless raining.  The reward was the BIG park across town not the one just down the street.

Quoting littlelambe2:

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Cross your fingers tomorrows weather is nice so we can take the balls down to park for kicking around.  The more energy used constructively means less destruction in apartment  LOL.

Quoting littlelambe2:

That makes sense. I totally misunderstood. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting littlelambe2:

janitablue
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I am happy that all you hard work paid off. It great that both parents are working together as a team . It is a part of life you fix one problem and another on pop up.  What I like about you very in tune with  your kids.You find the problem and use different alternative to solve the problem. Good luck

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Great news, and good luck!!

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Thanks girls.

maybe80
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM
You can always do paper mache. That's some messy fun!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:45 PM

bumping.   Whew what a day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)