Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

As a child growing up life was so much better

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you agree life was better , maybe safer , children was seen not heard, there were less fast food places...........

I don't feel my childhood was better it was the same as my son.  The only difference my parents had a huge yard that I could explore and play in, my parents trust the neighborhood kids I don't from my experience.,,,,,,,

Do you think life (childhood) was better? What are you thoughts?

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Replies (31-35):
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Nope Just as many fast food places. Just as safe and just as much space to roam and be free.

janitablue
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I enjoy the different view point. I agreed with the comments that were made on the phone and cell. That is great that you children are able to be a child and have fun in their neighborhood.

Quoting wakymom:

I think it's different.

In some ways it's better. Yes, cell phones can be a pain, but I remember throwing up in preschool and being miserable curled up in the office  b/c my mom was out grocery shopping and they couldn't get hold of her. A cell phone would've made things easier in cases like that.

In other ways it's harder. Kids have access to so much through the internet, and not all of it's good. Instead of computer geeks being the exception, all parents have to become at least partial geeks just to monitor what their kids are doing online.

In yet other ways, it's the same. My kids can safely bounce from house to house in our neighborhood, playing w/ friends, and I don't have to worry about it. If they are out on their bikes, I send a walkie-talkie w/ them to make calling them home easier. I remember in 2 different neighborhoods I grew up in doing the same thing, minus the walkie-talkies. I love that my kids can have the same experience.

Imo, those who say it's worse are those who worry over every "maybe" that could happen b/c the media sensationalizes those exceptions to the rule. If you spend all your time worrying about what-if's, your kids aren't going to get to experience anything. Yes, teach them what to do just in case, but don't keep them in bubble.

janitablue
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I agreed and I am sad to admit I am one of those parents that makes things easy for the child. I have no patience instead of punish my son for not tying his shoe for the third time I would bend down and tie is shoe. 

Quoting soymujer:

I think kids have it too easy these days.  It seems that many parents just give what ever their child wants and then gives no consequences.  I had to work for a lot of what I had and even then, it was taken away as punishment.  It seems that parents would rather be friends than parents.

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM
My kids have it pretty dam good if ya ask me. Their parents r involved and want them to succeed and r willing to help them in anyway we can. We r about the same money wise lol maybe alil better cuz we dont have credit cards but at least they arent getting abused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superwoman8977
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM

IT was better, Children today have no discipline, no respect, no manners and are coddled.  I am so ready to go back to living the way it was when I was growing up.  I have had it with kids with cell phones, etc...ready to go back in time and be happy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)