Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

s/o IQ tests

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM
  • 19 Replies

For those familiar with them, what could cause a deviance in scores when the tests are given with years in between?

When dd was younger (around 6 or 7) she was tested by a child psychologist; her score was in the highly gifted range - we didn't have it done for vanity reasons, we needed it for some behavioural issues we were having at the time and the child psych wanted an IQ test.

Now, when we were seeking help for her dyslexia, years later (around the age of 10) we took her to some brain training center; they gave her an IQ test and said that she tested "low end of average". Huh??? That is a HUGE variation. No worries - they promised they could "fix" her for tens of thousands of dollars, lol!

I didn't pay much attention to the last score (at the advice of our pediatrician who, upon hearing it was given at a brain training center, rolled his eyes), but it did make me wonder -

for a child with a learning disability, should the test be "different" or given differently, in order accurately measure IQ?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I have no idea what causes the variations. My son's district tests all kids in kindergarten and again in 2nd grade to see if they qualify for G&T services, and my son's results were fairly different on both test. (I don't think either test was specifically an IQ test. I don't remember his final scores, just the ranges he was placed in. He was in different ranges, like your daughter was.)

I'm curious to see the other responses to this post.

BKozICan
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Not sure. My IQ was almost exactly the same from third grade through age 24 (significantly high, the reason I was tested five times in the 16 years). My IQ dropped about ten points after having kids at age 27 (lack of sleep and abundance of distraction). :-/  I have ADHD, but never thought to ask it they test was the same for others.

I would also assume that there would be a difference depending on who was interpreting the evaluation. My first four were administered by the same person. My last two were by different people, although all were licensed in the fields of psychology/psychiatry. 

matofour
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I would wonder about both tests that were given, and what was the difference in the testing process. Did you sit in on either test?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I didn't sit for either test.

With the child psych, it was a long enough test that I dropped her off and came back several hours later - it was a full assessment (IQ test and psych assessment), after which it was determined that much of her behaviour was "boredom" as she tested "highly gifted".

The second IQ test, at the "brain training center" that wanted to "fix her for a ridiculous amount of money", the test only took... less than an hour I think (I waited in another room while she gave her the test).

I know that I had official documentation of the first (but it is buried in paperworks I'm sure)... it was pages and pages long full of scores, assessments, and recommendations; the second test given at the brain training center just gave... like a pie chart if I recall correctly, and a few lines of what her weaknesses were (one page of "assessment").

Quoting matofour:

I would wonder about both tests that were given, and what was the difference in the testing process. Did you sit in on either test?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I would go with the first test results. The highest score that they receive is typically the accurate one. You cannot get lucky and score higher than you are but there are any number of reasons for having an off testing day and scoring much lower than you are. Also, the testing for the younger ages is more how you learn and the older that you get the more it is crystallized knowledge. Also, if she took the wppsi the first time and a WISC the second time, those tests score differently in regards to working memory and often a gifted ability index score needs to be derived. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes - her working memory is poor, as is typical with dyslexics, lol.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

I would go with the first test results. The highest score that they receive is typically the accurate one. You cannot get lucky and score higher than you are but there are any number of reasons for having an off testing day and scoring much lower than you are. Also, the testing for the younger ages is more how you learn and the older that you get the more it is crystallized knowledge. Also, if she took the wppsi the first time and a WISC the second time, those tests score differently in regards to working memory and often a gifted ability index score needs to be derived. 

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Then, I would definitely go with the first scores and possibly, ask for a GAI to be done with the newer scores. It will likely bring them up closer to where she should be. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting momtoBrenna:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:48 PM

What is a GAI?

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Then, I would definitely go with the first scores and possibly, ask for a GAI to be done with the newer scores. It will likely bring them up closer to where she should be. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting momtoBrenna:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

The results from the brain training center were most likely incorrect.  Places like that make big money convincing parents that they can help their children.  They manipulate test results to make it appear that your child is in desperate need of their services, when they really aren't in such dire straights.  Then they will give another test after they have worked their magic on your child and those test results will be drastically higher, and pretty much in line with where they should be.  Then you leave with this huge sense of satisfaction, thinking that they really helped your child.  When, in fact, all that they really did was manipulate test scores and take money from you.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM

That is almost word for word what our pediatrician said.

I recall that after this last test, Autumn came out and I asked her how it went - she looked very confused and said "I don't think I did very well; she went too fast Mom".

Quoting steelcrazy:

The results from the brain training center were most likely incorrect.  Places like that make big money convincing parents that they can help their children.  They manipulate test results to make it appear that your child is in desperate need of their services, when they really aren't in such dire straights.  Then they will give another test after they have worked their magic on your child and those test results will be drastically higher, and pretty much in line with where they should be.  Then you leave with this huge sense of satisfaction, thinking that they really helped your child.  When, in fact, all that they really did was manipulate test scores and take money from you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)