Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

5 year old DD, stay at friends?

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is in Kindergarten and we just met one of her friends parents today at the park, she is really nice and a teacher there at her school, good neighborhood and everything.  Well they both asked us at the same time if they could have a playdate at the other little girls house.  My husband is more relaxed than me about it, but I am thinking of letting her play there for a couple hours.  This is a first for us though besides friends we know. But I am still wishy washy about it.  I know my dd would love to go though.  Have you let your lil one (kinder and up) over at a friends when you aren't really close to the parents?

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Replies (21-25):
Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM
All depends in the situation... Ds has one friend he regularly does play dates at, but I have become friends with the mom, so it is very comfortable for me.

Ask the mom the questions you need to make yourself feel comfortable (do you have a pool, are there weapons in the home, do you have a dog) or whatever else is on your mind. Then go with your gut.

There are some friends where I would let ds2 go and others I would not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Allisonc7910
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

All depends in the situation... Ds has one friend he regularly does play dates at, but I have become friends with the mom, so it is very comfortable for me.

Ask the mom the questions you need to make yourself feel comfortable (do you have a pool, are there weapons in the home, do you have a dog) or whatever else is on your mind. Then go with your gut.

There are some friends where I would let ds2 go and others I would not.

That is a good idea.  A pool is a big one because they really could have one, and weapons my dd already knows to not touch.  I would just prefer the family live in my neighborhood, she lives in the one over.  If it was next door and I knew the parents and trusted them it would be different.

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Yes

family in the van   Mom of four

periwinkle163
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:07 PM

That wouldn't be something I was comfortable with at that age until I knew the parents better.

lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I've let Elijah go on a playdate a couple times with one of his friends from daycare (he is 5). I didnt know the boys mom super well, but she is a military wife as well & the few times I had seen her she was very sweet & works on base planning events. The first time they got together I was a little worried but they've had several play dates (either at our home, the boys home, or at a neuteral location) but now I'm 100% comfortable with him going with the boys family without me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN