Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of the Common Core?

Posted by   + Show Post

Has your state adopted the Common Core State Standards?

Do you think it's good or bad?  Why?

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Replies (181-187):
iuangina
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Still seems like a list of excuses. Everyone can be taught, and special education students can make more growth than gifted students but you have to teach them at a higher level. This is what common core does when implemented correctly. FYI, I teach in an inner-city school with a 40% special education population and still show growth in every student each year. High expectations, student engagement, and parental support lead to successful students. It is possible to have parental support in every school you just have to be creative about it.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Then that's what we should all do.  I think it makes sense.

That being said, I think in other high-achieving countries, they have different standards and possibly don't even teach low level kids, or they may send them to 'special' schools.  From what I understand, they do not have integration the way we do.

I know one of our elementary schools was labeled a school in need of improvement because the special ed kids did not show enough growth (under NCLB), but the other kids all had plenty of academic growth.  If we sent some kids to different schools, we would probably have higher levels of achievement.  I am by NO means saying this is the right way to do things.  I just think they do that in other countries so it looks like their kids are "smarter" than ours, because we believe everyone deserves an education and we give an education to everyone no matter what.

Quoting iuangina:

Lack of time is a load of crap. This is where most teachers have it wrong. You have to teach to the high achievers. If you do that, the others will be pulled up. Our system doesn't want to recognize that all the countries that are beating us teach to the high kids. We are getting more low achievers to barely pass some kind of stupid assessment when we should be challenging the high achievers. The research shows tht when teachers do that all students achieve at a higher level.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

They don't have time to challenge him because they are so focused on underachieving kids to bring them up to the standards.  There needs to be a better balance, and I don't think national standards are how we will get that.

Quoting iuangina:

If you son is not being challenged that's because his teachers choose not to challenge him, not because the standards won't let them.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I don't think I implied that a teacher would not expect much from a kid who is on free/reduced lunch??  Where did I imply that?  I don't think teachers expect less of children because of their income, I never said that.

My point isn't about teachers knowing this stuff.  So many teachers are just doing what they're told.  They aren't questioning any of it or looking into it. 

Our kindergarten expectations have grown recently, expecting too much of such young children in my opinion.  However, overall the standards in my state are being lowered by CC.

NCLB was holding kids to MEDIOCRE standards.  My high achieving son was never pushed to do more.  They are happy with him being mediocre and meeting the bottom line standards, because they have 20 other kids to worry about to keep up with the NCLB.  I don't think any national standards are going to help with that.

The one mathematician on the validaiton board of the CC has said the standards will put our high schoolers 2 years below their peers in other high-acheiving countries.  This is not preparing our kids to compete with kids from other countries.  He also said that the geometry they are having the children learn is "experimental" and hasn't been tested thoroughly yet.  Why would we want to implement something across the nation that we don't even know if it will work?  Why can't we stick to something for a generation (a group from k-12) before we decide it isn't working and switch it again?  How are those kids in the middle years during the change doing with all the change?

I just think too many people are too quick to just accept what someone says is "the right thing" or that will make things "better."

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

Nope, because we, as teachers do not know who is on free/reduced lunch unless a parent or kid tells us.  Knowing these things helps us do things like early childhood education, after school programming for kids who need it, parent programs, etc.  Obvioulsy every child does not have academic issues, but knowledge is a good thing.  It is not about expecting LESS from those kids, but about providing them with more at school to help close the gap.   I also don't appreciate you implying that a teacher will not expect much from a kid who is on free/reduced lunch.  Also, I am not sure what educational world you have been living in, but NCLB was all about holding ALL kids to high standards, which is why those groups are looked at.  So many school averaged out to just fine, but groups within the school were not being successful, so NCLB was enacted to make sure that ALL kids are learning the standards and that they can receive extra programming if they are not doing well.  Over and over you have said the K standards are too high, but now in the same breath you are saying we will lower them due to this information?  I am confused.   Our country has done nothing but make attempts (although not completely successful) at closing the achievement gap and holding all students to high standards the past 20 years.  All students are now required to take 4 years of high school math, 3 being Alg 1, Geometry adn Alg 2.  20-30 years ago, kids could take 2 classes, with none being algebra.  I do not see how we are moving towards what you are saying.  In all 3 districts I have worked for, we are told to encourage ALL students to look towards college, not do as you are saying. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Other countries get the majority of kids past precalc or calculus?  I find that hard to believe.  And, as you said, they have vastly different systems.  You are looking at one case, your son.  The CCS have A LOT of rigor in them, and are based on what is developmentally appropriate for the typical child of that age.  If you have a highly gifted child, yes, it may not meet their needs, but that is what acceleration is for.  All of the middle and high schools I have worked for allow for math acceleration.  Even though my DD's school teaches the CCS, that doesn't mean she isn't allowed to read above grade level, because she is.  It doesn't mean she isn't allowed to do math past her grade level, she is.  I do not see how the CCS are lowering expecations for kids.  In fact, our school has actually upped where kids should be in reading due to them, and is going much more in depth with reading skills.  The math is very similar to our old state standards, with a few things moved around.  We choose to teach algebra 1 in 8th grade, and condense the middle school standards into grades 5-7, so ALL of our kids will be finished with at least Calculus 1 by the end of high school.  As for the geometry, it is very similar to the geometry that has been taught in schools for years. 

sarahjoy
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Our school follows common core standards... I personally like them for the most part.  The standards for the grade I teach were crap when we just used our state standards before.  Like for kindergarten in our state standards only had to count to 10 by the end of the year... but state tests require much more than that.  so they didnt match up.  Common Core standards have many more things to teach ... can be viewed as a good thing and a bad thing.  But over all I think it was a good move for our state.

sparkle_monkey
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Yes, I'm in texas. In my area the few districts who have chosen to use old fashioned curriculums are surpassing the followers who have chosen c scope. It is really sad.
zumbafreak11
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Quoting kaylasmom22:I'm not sure if NY adopted it yet,I know dds books say common core on it but I heard prek and kinder are changing their teaching methods.

NY adopted it. I live in NY too. I don't understand it at all so I can't say if I like it or not.
Tryshx
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM

We have adopted common core for the most part... It's better than what was in place before to be completely honest... I just don't like the way they "rate" (not grade) kindergardeners by what they should know by the END of the year.... before they even have had a chance to be taught they're already rated by the fact they don't know it... it's rather discouraging.

Jon883
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I am in PA and our state has adopted the Math and Language Arts Common Core Standards.  After doing my own research on common core standards, I do not like the curriculum.  The reasons why:

1. The cirriculum was developed by large corporations and  one sided special interest groups, rather than parents,teachers and school admistrators at the local level like our local school board members.    2.The curriculum was forced on the schools as it was tied to getting federal/State money which the schools are dependent on.     3.The standards are lower as for example the math curriculum standard to graduate is Algebra 1, The standards are lowered so all students in the country can pass the test. They want all on the same level, if if our kids are able to do more.

They are counting on you NOT to do your research and to stay uninformed on the new common core standards. Do your research and get informed!  It all there for you to see. Google Common Core Standards and look at the official sites, not the opinion sites.  When you are informed about it you will have many concerns that you can ask your local school board about.  You will most likely know more about common core than they do!!.  Then from there contact your state reps and let them know how you feel. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)