Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Got a letter from the principal ::edit in blue::

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM
  • 104 Replies
2 moms liked this

From what I can assess, it's a generic letter, but was wondering your take on it. 

This year, my son has been absent 14 times and tardy 3 times. He had the flu in November so he was out for a week that time, all other days missed were him feeling sick. The tardies are appointments. But the principal just sent home a basic letter of concern to let us know that he shouldn't be missing any more school if we can help it because it will hinder his education. He's in 1st grade.

In May, we were thinking of taking a long weekend and going out of state for vacation. My husband took the time off work but now I'm debating if we should let him miss 1-2 days of school for vacation. Would you take him out of school for a day or two for vacation, or just try to do vacation another time (like summer break)

Edit: We have decided to do a day trip that weekend so we can just go on Saturday and have a long day and then he has Sunday to rest before going back to school

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ArisMom208
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM

No...Hes already missed too much.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM

He has missed a lot of school already.  It would be only a couple more weeks until summer break, so I'd wait.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I talked to a family member who is a teacher and she said not to be concerned over the letter, which I'm not terribly concerned, I know he's missed a lot. Not my fault other kids went to school sick and shared their germs with him. She also said it wouldn't be a big issue to take 1-2 days for vacation, chances are it would only be 1 day that he missed. 

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I'm unsure if my husband can get time off over summer break to go somewhere, and usually during breaks there's so many more people doing the same things.

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM
No,if he missed so much why take him on vacation so he can miss more?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM
3 moms liked this

I would do vacation over summer break.  IMO, 14 days is a lot of school to have missed already and he really can't afford to miss any more.  At our school, once you miss 10 days you are referred to the truancy officer.

MariannLws
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I would wait until summer. 

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM

because we rarely do anything over summer break or other vacations. My husband scheduled the time off because we were planning a family vacation with his parents, but they can no longer go so we cancelled reservations. So it would be something that we don't plan to do every school year, and chances are it would be one day he'd miss. 

Quoting kaylasmom22:

No,if he missed so much why take him on vacation so he can miss more?

poietes
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Knee jerk reaction I would say no after missing that many but after thinking about it I would go talk to the teacher and see what she thinks. If he is doing well and doesnt think a couple more days will hinder him to much then I would do it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I believe in our district it's over 14 unexcused in a marking period. I can provide a doctor's note (or a list from the doctor with the dates we came in) for every time we kept him out of school. A few of the days he was kept home because he had a sniffle and the teacher sent him to the nurse and they said to keep him home until he's better. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

I would do vacation over summer break.  IMO, 14 days is a lot of school to have missed already and he really can't afford to miss any more.  At our school, once you miss 10 days you are referred to the truancy officer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)