Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What age do you suggest can children stay home by themselves after school?

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 61 Replies
I have a 9 year old who HATES the after school program at her school and I've voiced my concerns with the program numerous times with NO improvements....it's awful! She's begging me to let her go home by herself next year, but I have a kindergartner starting in the fall as well. My oldest will be in 4th grade next year; school gets out at 3:10 and I get off work at 4:30, generally it takes me 20-30 mins to get home. There are other alternatives with local child care centers in the area, but they are double the cost and we already have to pay $2700 for the year for full day kindergarten. Suggestions?!
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't think it should be age-based, rather maturity-based. Only you and your husband can truly know if they are ready. I will say mine were at that age, BUT my children are very responsible. We started with short walks and then trips to the grocery store before upping the time away.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Age depends on maturity and how long the time alone will be. For her age, and the fact that it will only be a little over an hour, I might say ok, but I would want to be sure she actually got home and INSIDE the house. Would she be walking? I don't think bus drivers would drop a kid off alone. Could she check in with a neighbor upon arrival? Or have her call you? Would she have a cell phone in case something happened? I would make a list of all possibilities and discuss it thoroughly, but I wouldn't completely dismiss it and say no.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

IMO, that's a little young yet especially to be watching a sibling. That's almost 2 hours alone. 

Is there a neighbor that you can pay to watch them?

~~CINDY

Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM

It's almost 2 hours alone by the time she can get home.

Quoting Kathy489:

Age depends on maturity and how long the time alone will be. For her age, and the fact that it will only be a little over an hour, I might say ok, but I would want to be sure she actually got home and INSIDE the house. Would she be walking? I don't think bus drivers would drop a kid off alone. Could she check in with a neighbor upon arrival? Or have her call you? Would she have a cell phone in case something happened? I would make a list of all possibilities and discuss it thoroughly, but I wouldn't completely dismiss it and say no.

~~CINDY

SAM736
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

good morning     The first time I let are daughter stay home she was eight and was scared even throw she said"she wanted to stay home for a half hour why we went to the store".  I think nine is a good age for the first time. She is almost ten now and does fine eight is still a little to young.  I also was going to have child care when I was getting a job. But it's cost 2000.  For my son to go all day and daughter to go be for and after school. I could not believe how much the wanted just for my daughter to go for a few hours a day.  So I did not take the job and stay home with my kids so that we don't have to pay so much for child care. 

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM
2 moms liked this
You might want to check with local law enforcement to see what they say. I personally wouldn't say until 11 or 12 at the earliest.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MsRkg
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Depends on the child in question and how mature and responsible they are. A 12 year old can be less mature than a 9 year old, but just because they are older doesn't mean that they should stay home alone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deedee3849
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry she hates the after school program. I feel comfortable with around age 12-13.

Dlunsford
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Quoting Andrewsmom70:

You might want to check with local law enforcement to see what they say. I personally wouldn't say until 11 or 12 at the earliest.

I agree with the 11 and 12, but local law enforcement says they go by what parents think is a good responsible age for their child. I'm sure it would be a different story if something happened! I'm sure I will give it another full year and try it when she's 10, almost 11.
Dlunsford
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Quoting MsRkg:

Depends on the child in question and how mature and responsible they are. A 12 year old can be less mature than a 9 year old, but just because they are older doesn't mean that they should stay home alone.

My 9 year old is mature, but it does just seem so young!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)