Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

2D/3D shapes

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM
  • 11 Replies
Dd is in kindergarten and is having trouble with drawing 3D shapes and I am having trouble explaining how to draw them. HELP!! Any suggestions?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I cant explain it online.  Good luck. I hope someone can help.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried checking for videos on you tube?  I know how to draw 3D objects, but can't really explain it, or at least I don't think I can.

For a square, you'd draw 2 squares, diagonal from each other.  Then you draw lines connected the corners of the square together, top right to top right, top left to top left, bottom right to bottom right, bottom left to bottom left.

momof2891
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Yeah now that I have googled it and looked at what I found on there, it finally clicked on what I need to do. I had a migraine yesterday so it didn't click right away. Haha! We have been working on it.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Have you tried checking for videos on you tube?  I know how to draw 3D objects, but can't really explain it, or at least I don't think I can.

For a square, you'd draw 2 squares, diagonal from each other.  Then you draw lines connected the corners of the square together, top right to top right, top left to top left, bottom right to bottom right, bottom left to bottom left.

proudmommy690
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Yikes...sorry :/ i have no idea
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Why is he having to draw them 3d?  I thought they did the flat shapes.

momof2891
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I don't know why they have to learn that in KINDERGARTEN!! She has no trouble with 2D but now he has to know how to do 3D. I have a friend that is a kindergarten teacher and she said it is common core or something.

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM

All i can think of is getting the shape blocks to show him and see if he can grasp it that way. How did the teacher explain it?

Quoting momof2891:

I don't know why they have to learn that in KINDERGARTEN!! She has no trouble with 2D but now he has to know how to do 3D. I have a friend that is a kindergarten teacher and she said it is common core or something.

Quoting frndlyfn:

momof2891
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM
It's a new concept her teacher has just introduced. I'll try that idea with the blocks and shapes and see if that helps. Thanks!

Quoting frndlyfn:

All i can think of is getting the shape blocks to show him and see if he can grasp it that way. How did the teacher explain it?

Quoting momof2891:

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM

The sorter toy that most toddlers/preschoolers play with is what i am thinking for holdable shapes  or even if you can find them beads in different shapes.

just the other night i was trying to think if i remember how to draw all the the different shapes in 3d form.  I think i learned that in middle school or high school for science/math.

Quoting momof2891:

It's a new concept her teacher has just introduced. I'll try that idea with the blocks and shapes and see if that helps. Thanks!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting momof2891:

Quoting frndlyfn:

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Drawing them is in CCS?  Yes, I guess it sort of is, but I would guess the intention is to draw 2D shapes and model or build 3D shapes.  I would not stress over it.  My 6th graders still struggle to accurately draw 3D shapes.  The easiest way to draw is by making a box and another diagonally behind it and then connect.  Or for a cylinder, draw a circle and two straight lines down and then a curved line to connect them. 

Identify and describe shapes.

• CCSS.Math.Content.K.G.A.1 Describe objects in the environment using names of shapes, and describe the relative positions of these objects using terms such as above, below, beside, in front of, behind, and next to.
  • CCSS.Math.Content.K.G.A.2 Correctly name shapes regardless of their orientations or overall size.
  • CCSS.Math.Content.K.G.A.3 Identify shapes as two-dimensional (lying in a plane, “flat”) or three-dimensional (“solid”).

Analyze, compare, create, and compose shapes.

• CCSS.Math.Content.K.G.B.4 Analyze and compare two- and three-dimensional shapes, in different sizes and orientations, using informal language to describe their similarities, differences, parts (e.g., number of sides and vertices/“corners”) and other attributes (e.g., having sides of equal length).
  • CCSS.Math.Content.K.G.B.5 Model shapes in the world by building shapes from components (e.g., sticks and clay balls) and drawing shapes.
  • CCSS.Math.Content.K.G.B.6 Compose simple shapes to form larger shapes. For example, “Can you join these two triangles with full sides touching to make a rectangle?”
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN