Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Nightmares! Will I ever sleep again?

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM
  • 12 Replies

My 5 year old son has been waking up several times a night with bad dreams. He comes my room to get me and is usually too scared to be alone in his room, so I lay in his bed awhile until he is asleep. Some nights we do this every couple hours. Can't think of why this has started, but I hope it ends soon, as I am falling asleep at work! Help!

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy06and09
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM
lay a blanket on your floor and have him sleep there if he wakes up. works for us most nights the kids dont need it but i get more sleep than i would on the nights they do need it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I would walk him back, rub his back and then walk out.   I have been lucky that dd does not wake us up often if at all for bad dreams.  She will tell me the next day about them.   Hugs to you though for having to work after long nights of bad dreams.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:21 AM
What are the dreams about?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thathottiemom
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM

My son always is having nightmares, he is on medcine, anyways...when he wakes up and complains, I go to his room, lay on the bed until he falls asleep and go back to my room, then if he wakes up again, I bring him to my room. My kido usually freaks out if his TV isn't on. He can not sleep without TV.

Emily123456
by Emily on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:44 PM
My baby girl is 17 mth and was cring every nite in her sleep also my son 10 same thing I get one to sleep the other would cry. I don't know if u believe in God but I got some bless olive oil from the church and I make the sign of the cross on the 4 head and ask God to bless them and keep them safe and I do that ever nite and ever sense I strated doing that they sleep all nite
Bekki
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

What are the dreams about?

All over the place. Being chased by lions, lost in the woods, geysers in the yard making the house shake (but he had just seen Ice Age The Meltdown, so I get that one).

JanuaryBaby06
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

My son went through this. He used to sleep with his eyes open and rolled back into his head, his back arched and scream.... it was terrible. i felt so awful for him. what helped us was time and reputation. Make up soemthing special to do before he goes to bed. I used to fill a spray bottle with water and him it was Nightmare begone and he'd spray his room before bedtime then we'd do mommys special sweet dreams kiss and then we'd talk about soemthing he could think about until he fell asleep. Maybe get a dream catcher kit so yous can make it too getther or buy one and make up a background story.

Momforhealth
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Any changes in your life? Any pressures at school? Maybe a nice conversation about his day as you put him to bed. It's usually the time kids like to talk as they wind down from the day. I hope it ends soon.
Momforhealth
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Dream catchers do work!

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

My son went through this. He used to sleep with his eyes up back arched and scream.... it was terrible. i felt awful. what helped us was time and reputation. Make up soemthing special to do before he goes to bed. I used to fill a spray bottle with water and him it was Nightmare begone and he'd spray his room before bedtime then we'd do mommys special sweet dreams kiss and then we'd talk about soemthing he could think about until he fell asleep. Maybe get a dream catcher kit so yous can make it too getther or buy one and make up a background story.

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

My DD (7) is the same way -- it is hard to tell whether she is truly having nightmares or at this point using it as an excuse.  She definitely does not like going back to her room, but I can't distinguish whether she is truly scared to go back, or she just doesn't want to... Either way, when we tell her to go back, she has a complete meltdown!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)