Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

If you are poor your kids are dumb?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM
  • 15 Replies

True or false?  Children who attend school only intermittently (because of physical problems or because their parents live transient lives) typically have lower IQ scores than children who attend regularly.

This is a HW problem, I am suppose to argue this but am not finding anything that says it is not true. I for one do not believe it and there has been studies that homeschooled kids have high IQ scores than public school kids. 

3. Children who drop out of school before finishing high school typically have lower IQ scores than other children who are comparable in age and socioeconomic status.

4. Although aptitude tests like IQ are supposed to be quite different from achievement test scores, a number of studies have shown high correlations between IQ scores and academic achievement test scores. Both seem to be highly influenced by quality and quantity of schooling.

the other two questions if you want to argue that too LOL. 

sorry about the topic just needed to get you in here. 

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tristansmom74
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Well... First i wanna look at drop outs and low IQ. They probably hate school because they have a low IQ. Low IQ may cause the drop out. Not the other way around.
And the other is just BS. I know lots of people who havn't attended school like they should. Intelligent people self educate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMom458
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I like your response. Well for the first question it was staying in school and furthering your education will improve your intelligence, not always true. With soceity today we have internet and we can self teach ourselves and not have to improve our intelligence by having a teacher tell us when we can do it our selves. 

Quoting tristansmom74:

Well... First i wanna look at drop outs and low IQ. They probably hate school because they have a low IQ. Low IQ may cause the drop out. Not the other way around.
And the other is just BS. I know lots of people who havn't attended school like they should. Intelligent people self educate.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM
A lot of dropouts are actually very gifted. Google giftedness and dropouts for information.

A lot of higher SES kids are exposed to more experiences so their background knowledge is greater than kids from lower SES families. So the higher SES kids tend to do better on standardized tests.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually, there is also a certain percentage of drop outs that come from the gifted population too. They give up and drop out for a number of reasons. I don't think that any of that correlates to low iq. You can have an iq in the 200's but,  if you're not motivated, you won't succeed regardless of school consistency, etc. On the flip side, you can have an average to below average iq and have a strong work ethic and do great. 

BlessedMom458
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Thats a good one too TY. What does SES mean? Still new to CM and all the lingo in here LOL. 

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

A lot of dropouts are actually very gifted. Google giftedness and dropouts for information.

A lot of higher SES kids are exposed to more experiences so their background knowledge is greater than kids from lower SES families. So the higher SES kids tend to do better on standardized tests.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM
SES= socioeconomic status. It's not a Cafemom abbreviation. :-)

Quoting BlessedMom458:

Thats a good one too TY. What does SES mean? Still new to CM and all the lingo in here LOL. 

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:31 PM
A lot of standardized tests have cultural bias as well. They use school and education words/language that families with less education DON'T use regularly.
BlessedMom458
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Oh ok, yea I am reading some statistics now and that abbreviation was used LOL TY

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

SES= socioeconomic status. It's not a Cafemom abbreviation. :-)

Quoting BlessedMom458:

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

WausauCate
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I absoutely agree! Love the fact that you said it too.  My first son was homeschooled and I did a crappy job! He left school in the ninth grade and stayed home for school.  He re entered as an 11th grader and we were anything but regular about school....but he LOVED Sherlock Holmes and read everything about him in the two years he was out of school.  He went on to take Calculus in High school and got a 99 on the ASVAB for military entry.  He is not a Green Beret and has been all over the world.  He has advanced quickly for only being in eight years and it is because he was very intelligent.  My other four kids are exactly the same! And we have been VERY poor and transient! It isn't about money or how many times you move.  It's what the kids are taught in the home. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I think it is more they arent able to fully reach their potential in school when the parents/family is poorer.  I do not know how IQ is affected by that, just quality of work.  Our elementary school promotes reading and active math games at home for all economic levels of families.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)