Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad Idea for a birthday gift? (some added)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: Is a pet a bad idea for a birthday present.

Options:

YES horrible idea pets die

No its a good idea.

Pets are horrible anyways

BAZINGA!

Good idea but not for a birthday present

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 25

View Results

So I was thinking of giving my DS a Guinea Pig for his birthday...my dad seems to think that its a bad idea for a birthday.. since they die and everything...asking for some thoughts on it!

Okay so there is a bit of confusion yes I talked about it...and bascally decided getting it...but my dad thinks another time is better...like not for a birthday... He will be turning 8

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:08 PM

How old is your son turning?

luvmybug
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM
I don't think it's such a bad idea. I mean, yes, it eventually WILL die, but I'm sure your son would be really happy to get a pet. It would also teach him how to care for it, and responsibility. How old is he? Is he old enough to at least help feed it and clean its cage and handle it properly?
corrinacs
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I'm with her on this one!  Depends on the age of the child and how responsible he is.  If you feel he's responsible enough for a pet, then by all means: ).  It could be a pretty interesting venture:).

Just make sure that your famiyl is prepared to handle it.

Quoting luvmybug:

I don't think it's such a bad idea. I mean, yes, it eventually WILL die, but I'm sure your son would be really happy to get a pet. It would also teach him how to care for it, and responsibility. How old is he? Is he old enough to at least help feed it and clean its cage and handle it properly?

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I thought you asked about this already...? And that you dediced you were going to get one? If not, sorry, my mistake. Then it was someone else asking about guinea pigs recently. That thread had some good info. Oh wait, not you... I found the thread  ...

http://www.cafemom.com/group/41/forums/read/18309333/Is_8_too_young_for_this_kind_of_pet

Anyways... my vote, is no, not too young.... so long that the adults know they will be ultimately responsible for this animal that can live 5-8 years. We have a GP and she is going on 4 yrs old right now. My kids are 8 and 10, and love her. But she needs supervision when being held for her own safety. Kids sometimes get dumb and think that the can toss the animal in the air and whatnot. We have a "cozy cup" and our GP will stay in it and not try to run off, unlike hamsters. Though the cozy cup will seep pee through if the GP is in it too long and pees. You also have to make sure a GP gets fresh fruits and veggies everyday, as well as timothy hay and pellets. And if they get sick, vet bills can be expensive.

Just know what you are getting into. My kids interest in the GP waxes and wanes. I usually am the one to make sure she is fed and watered properly, trim nails, and cleaning the cage every 1 1/2 wks.

As for the animal dying... it happens. Kids grieve and then get over it over time just like anyone. I wouldn't let that stop you if you feel your child is ready to own a pet. We had two GPs, but after a couple of months one got sick and died (she was a mean pig and always bit, so not too much love lost there). So they dealt with death.  

Another thing, when we had two... their cage had to be cleaned out every 5-7 days (and we have a bigger cage). It is amazing how much food and bedding you go through with 2 GPs. Be aware of the costs to own to a GP. Hamsters are much cheaper, but not as playful... and both are not as fun as dogs or cats.  

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM
It depends on the child's age and if they're responsible.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I think a pet is an OK gift. I'm not sure why your dad is so negative on the idea.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that you should give YOUR child a pet for whatever occasion that you see fit, so it is a good idea for a birthday present if that is what you want to give them.  Your child, so you get to decide if it is a good idea or not.  Your parents got to make that decision with you and now they need to realize that it is your turn to make those decisions for your own child.

Now, I would never give a pet to someone else's child as a gift for any occasion.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM

If it's your own child then I think it would be fine.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM

As long as you know he really wants one, go ahead and get him one.

Bekki
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Why not for a birthday gift? I think it's a great idea!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)