Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

reading tests

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM
  • 6 Replies
Does anyone have any information on the Star reading assessment test? We live in FL and my son is in 2nd grade. I guess they use Star and FAIR, neither of which I can find any info on. I didn't even know they took anything called the Star. Don't even get me started on the teacher my son has this year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Honestly i have no clue.  Can you talk to the principal about the reading curriculum for your son's grade?  I got the results for dd's reading tests but i can't remember what they were called.

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM
The principal hates me because I was responsible for getting the after school program shut down lol.

I was able to find a little info and from what I understand he is reading a grade level ahead but is at risk for retention and I'm jot sure why. His teacher does not seem concerned even though she told me he might be retained. It makes no fucking sense.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Honestly i have no clue.  Can you talk to the principal about the reading curriculum for your son's grade?  I got the results for dd's reading tests but i can't remember what they were called.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Could it be comprehension related?  My dd is in 1st grade and even though she is ahead in many areas for reading, the comprehension part is what she struggles with.  It has been a year long struggle as well for her to do writing assignments which may cause her to be held back depending on what her IEP is.  You may be able to see if he can be independantly tested out of school.   

Quoting quickbooksworm:

The principal hates me because I was responsible for getting the after school program shut down lol.

I was able to find a little info and from what I understand he is reading a grade level ahead but is at risk for retention and I'm jot sure why. His teacher does not seem concerned even though she told me he might be retained. It makes no fucking sense.

Quoting frndlyfn:

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Weird.  Here is a link.  It is a computer test that goes along with AR reading programs. 

http://www.mrwrightsclass.com/ar/star.htm

From what I understand, it is a fairly "low level" test in that kids are not having to retell, do deep predictions or analysis of text and it is multiple choice. 

I do not understand though how he could be at risk for retention if his skills are good.  How old is he?  What are their reasons for retention?

diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM

reading

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Thanks! The test scores are lower on comprehension but his teacher said he is understanding the material, asking appropriate questions and raising his hand in class and giving correct answers. Its likely a testing issue rather than comprehension.

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

Weird.  Here is a link.  It is a computer test that goes along with AR reading programs. 

http://www.mrwrightsclass.com/ar/star.htm

From what I understand, it is a fairly "low level" test in that kids are not having to retell, do deep predictions or analysis of text and it is multiple choice. 

I do not understand though how he could be at risk for retention if his skills are good.  How old is he?  What are their reasons for retention?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)