Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

She is mad that my DS doesnt struggle like hers...

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM
  • 41 Replies

Okay so my DS  is in grade 2 and is very bright... most things come easy to him. Except guessing...he doesnt like it he wants to know how many exactly are in there. But reading, spelling and so on just comes easy.

Now her son really struggles and she told me that it frustrates her son when my son finishes so easily so could I tell him to at least pretend to struggle.

I told her Connor does not gloat. He just takes out his "extra work" folder...should my son really pretend to struggle just so her son doesnt get frustrated??

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofjkkc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Is this a family member or classmate? Id just ignore her. Why make your son hold himself back just because hers cant keep up. Maybe suggest she gets her son extra help or tutoring.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Quoting momofjkkc:

Is this a family member or classmate? Id just ignore her. Why make your son hold himself back just because hers cant keep up. Maybe suggest she gets her son extra help or tutoring.

Just a classmate...he does get extra help...she is just upset that my son catches on quicker but I am Learning Disabled and she isnt but her son is.

rmfanfgljf
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM

no, I don't think your son should "pretend" to do anything..................my sil kinda wants my son to learn sign language rather then continue to learn spanish and english, if we made our kids do things to make others happy then we are not teaching our kids anything good.

momofjkkc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM
If ita just a classmate I would ignore her. Dont make your son hold back his talent.
Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Quoting momofjkkc:

If ita just a classmate I would ignore her. Dont make your son hold back his talent.

I wasnt planning on...just surprised that she said that...and wanted to see what others thought too,,,

momofjkkc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Yeah she might be a bit crazy lol. It would suprise me too if a mom came up and assked me to do that with my son also.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting momofjkkc:

I wasnt planning on...just surprised that she said that...and wanted to see what others thought too,,,

sthflachk
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM
OT...if the sil signs couldn't you teach signing along with English? If she doesn't forget I asked.

OP...I would never have my dd dumb herself down.

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

no, I don't think your son should "pretend" to do anything..................my sil kinda wants my son to learn sign language rather then continue to learn spanish and english, if we made our kids do things to make others happy then we are not teaching our kids anything good.

rmfanfgljf
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:13 AM

That is what I don't understand, my son is speech delayed, however I just learned he is bilingual.......I am the only one in this house that DOES NOT speak spanish, Even my girls are learning.....sil has 2 girls, they both speak spanish and english, english is their first language as is my sons. No one in this house signs, so I would have to learn sigh langueage as well as my son. I don't understand why sil doesn't want my son to learn both languages.

Quoting sthflachk:

OT...if the sil signs couldn't you teach signing along with English? If she doesn't forget I asked.

OP...I would never have my dd dumb herself down.

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM

I am wondering if your son could perhaps help her son outside of class time with the material.  Perhaps be able to explain it in more peer friendly language and show how he understands the material.  I definitely would not tell him to be fake dumb as so many children end up doing as a result from peer pressure.  

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Why dumb down?  I hate this concept.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)