Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I can't talk about my child?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 38 Replies
I have a hard time talking about my ds. He'll be eight soon and is ahead is all his academic subjects. He walked early and hit most of his milestones early. The problem is that if I talk about something he says or does I get looks. I'm not saying it to brag or make anyone feel bad. But I feel bad when my coworkers are talking about their kids and I get looks when I talk about mine. And I think part of the problem is I had ds when I was 17 so people assume since I'm a young parent my kid will be all messed up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Do you ever share any areas he is struggling in? What do they share about Their kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Different things. Funny things they said or did, things they made, school, etc.
I have talked about things he's not doing and usually get no comment in return.

Quoting aetrom:

Do you ever share any areas he is struggling in? What do they share about Their kids?

Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:15 AM
3 moms liked this

maybe it's the way you are saying it. Tone is everything. Sounds like your co-workers are taking it as bragging. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM

This.  Since you know that they don't want to hear about it, then don't talk about it around them.  Stick to talking to your husband about the kids.

Quoting Cindy18:

maybe it's the way you are saying it. Tone is everything. Sounds like your co-workers are taking it as bragging. 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I don't talk about him much, but there isn't much else to talk to my coworkers about. They complain about their marriages but I can't say anything because I'm single. It makes me feel like an outcast at my job.

Quoting mjande4:

This.  Since you know that they don't want to hear about it, then don't talk about it around them.  Stick to talking to your husband about the kids.

Quoting Cindy18:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Not to be mean, but maybe you are.  Not everyone always fits in.  Just stick to doing your job and leave your personal life out of it.  If you are looking for friends, then it's time to find another job.  KWIM?

Quoting cjsmom1:

I don't talk about him much, but there isn't much else to talk to my coworkers about. They complain about their marriages but I can't say anything because I'm single. It makes me feel like an outcast at my job.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting Cindy18:

LostInLove2002
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:38 AM
2 moms liked this
No,it has nothing to do with how young you were when you had him. It's plain ol' JEALOUSY. Mom's are more apt to compare and compete via their kids. You shouldn't have to appologize for your son being bright. If anything they should be so happy for him and you. But, alas, if they did that then they couldn't take credit for their own children's merit. >insert eyeroll here< Just as with myself as a homeschooler... for years I got attitude as if my choice to HS was just to make them look like bad mothers or something. But when people hear that my son has autism... then they're all, "Well, he needs that." (dumbasses) Ignore the ignorance of your coworkers. Talk about your boy if you want. Personally,I don't think they deserve to know a dang thing about your personal life.;)
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not that I'm looking for friends. I guess when everyone is sitting there chatting it's weird because I know if I say something I'll get a look. You're right though I should just stick to my job and keep my personal life at home.

Quoting mjande4:

Not to be mean, but maybe you are.  Not everyone always fits in.  Just stick to doing your job and leave your personal life out of it.  If you are looking for friends, then it's time to find another job.  KWIM?

Quoting cjsmom1:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting Cindy18:

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:40 AM
You could just be assuming that you know what they are thinking.
theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I have four children and had my first at 15. I will only talk about my children's achievements around others who also have children with the same achievements. I would never brag about my children to a struggling parent, it's just not right. This parent is already feeling bad that her child is struggling, no need to make them feel worse. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)