Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you or have you ever taken your child out of school for a family vacation?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:57 AM
  • 35 Replies

I am just curious because DH wants to do this with our 7 year old next year (he will be in 2nd grade) for  a trip to Disney. Mainly becuase it is so expensive and crowded to go during normal vacation times. It would be for a week but we would try to do it around a long weekend. 

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:11 AM
We've done it (for Disney) for pretty much the same reasons. DS is in middle school now and pulling him out is a concern for me as he has 5 teachers and more work to make up. DD will only be in 3rd grade so I'm OK with her missing school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:13 AM

We pull out the three days before Thanksgiving, but that is it.  We drive to Florida to see the grandparents.  I wouldn't do it at other times.  We stress that school is their job.  We are in private school, and a week off would really hurt them.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I'm a teacher so this is how I see it...if your child is doing well, no problem; if he or she is the type who is barely hanging on to the concepts and struggles to keep up, I probably wouldn't (my students are significantly cognitively delayed and each working on their own concepts and skills so missing a week for them isn't the same as for a kid who is in general ed and struggling to stay in the C range).  When my son was in kindergarten, I took him out for a week to go to Disney with MIL and SIL the first week of December.  What an awesome time to go!  Everything's set up for Christmas but there were NO crowds at all.  That was a once in a lifetime thing for me though; the district I'm in doesn't allow teachers to take off and use personal days even around long weekends for anything like that. If it did, I would have done it again.

AmaliaD
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM

i wouldnt let my son miss a week.    I do allow my kid to miss one day per year if his grades are good and he has been behaving and he doesnt have too many absenses.  this year he only has missed one day and was tardy one day.  - dh takes him fishing or to a professional baseball game.    

honeydewmommy
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I have pulled DS before for vacations. We are taking him to Disney next year. Most likely in off season so we can get good rates, like u guys are doing. I don't see anything wrong with it. 

momofjkkc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I think if its over a long weekend and they would only miss a day or two of school I would do it, they would have to get their school work to do on the way there and back so they can stay caught up though. But I would not take them out for a full week of school days.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM
It would have a hard time justifying it. My husband wants to pull our daughter for 2 days before Thanksgiving next year, and I'm struggling with it since we'd just be going to Texas to see his sister. We'd make it educational by going to the Space Center in Houston and the state capital in Austin. Texas gets so hot in the summer that it's just miserable for us to go in the summer.
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

No I wouldn't.

Iconoclast
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Yep
soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

No.  That's what summer break is for.  Besides, I'm a teacher do not feasible

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)