Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I am looking for Advice please

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:17 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am wondering how did you prepare your child for school? I have a almost 4 year old boy. I want him to go to school and like it like most kids do in kindergarden.

I am a stay at home mom, so there has been no interaction with other children other then his little sister. He HATES kids. I take him to the park and stuff but he wont go near other kids, wont talk to them. If there is one playing on a something he wont go near it. How would you get him used to kids?? School will be a nightmare if I cant get him over his fear of kids.

So far we have tried:

going to the park where kids are no luck

From the YMCA, Signed him up for soccer, loved the idea of it, went to the first practice sat on my lap crying the whole time he wanted to go home, couldnt get him to go again wouldnt get in the car.

I need more ideas can you please help with any advice on this topic. There isnt any real preschools in my area i know some say just drop him off and let him cry but I am not a fan of that. there has to be other ways to socialize a kid.

I check with the library here they do offer 1 program for his age so will see how that goes.

seems like once he finds out kids are there he is done. we are thinking of school next year when he is 5 that gives me a little over  a year to figure it out.

Thank you for your help.

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Check with your library to see if they have any preschool reading programs.  Also check your local YMCA, rec center, parks department, etc to see what kind of programs that they offer.  He needs to get some time around other kids his own age and begin to feel comfortable away from you before you can even think of sending him to school.

You aren't planning on putting him in kindergarten this coming fall, are you?

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Church Sunday school?  I hate to say it, but you might have to do very small but VERY frequent interactions where he is forced to interact without you as a safety net.  As long as you are there to coddle him, he is never going to take the leap.  It's going to suck and be hard for both of you, but if you can do little trips where you just make you good-byes short and sweet ("Momma's loves you and will be back in 20 minutes.  Love you!), then LEAVE!  But show him that you WILL be back in 20 minutes over and over and over again.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM
I agree. When my kids were in daycare, I saw moms who could not leave because jr was crying. That hovering just makes it harder. If my kids were clingy, I unhooked them from me and left. They were always fine in a few minutes.

Quoting anotherandree:

Church Sunday school?  I hate to say it, but you might have to do very small but VERY frequent interactions where he is forced to interact without you as a safety net.  As long as you are there to coddle him, he is never going to take the leap.  It's going to suck and be hard for both of you, but if you can do little trips where you just make you good-byes short and sweet ("Momma's loves you and will be back in 20 minutes.  Love you!), then LEAVE!  But show him that you WILL be back in 20 minutes over and over and over again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:51 PM
He just needs to do it.Do you have any relatives with kids his age? Maybe cousins? Take him to Grandma's house so he is familiar with the other adult and go out for a while.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Newmommys101
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I have no relatives with kids his age, he loves going places with my mom, he doesnt have a problem with adults just kids.

thebailiffs
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Have you considered www.meetup.com.  I would search this website for mommy groups with the same age children.  I am curious at why you are putting him in Kindergarten with as young as he is an not a preschool instead of Kindergarten.  Or a transitional Kindergarten. He really sounds like you should expose him over the next year and let him start the following year.  

Try meeting other mommies that have kids the same age and maybe have a few of you guys go to the park a few times a week until he get more comfortable with other people and kids.  

You could also consider private preschool/daycare a few days a week. 

Good luck!

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Sunday school was the first "school" setting for my younger 2. It's a great way to get them used to how to behave in a classroom w/o having to be there for a long time.

Are there any MOPS programs in your area? Or Mothers' Day Out Co-ops?

How about neighbors w/ kids his age? If so, see if you could work out something where you'd drop him off for about 20 mins, then pick him up, each time leaving him a few mins longer.

unspecified42
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM

It sounds like you are doing some really good things to help. There is going to be a little bit of a 'he's going to have to suck it up' factor, though. That sounds mean, but it's true. Part of being a kid is learning that you don't get a say in every situation all the time. And part of being a human is learning how to get along with other humans, even if you don't particularly like them.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Try sending him to daycare a few hours a week. He needs to be around other kids without you being there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyangel0102
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM

i don't know if this will help or not, but have you tried a Head Start Program.  It's similar to Pre-K but for 3 to 5 year olds.  I have 4 children and my 3 daughters all have gone to head start and that definitely helped prepare them for kindergarten.  They knew some of their letters, were introduce to new children other then their siblings, and got them to learn to sit the long time that kindergarteners need to sit to learn.  They play of course, but it's a different setting, also gets them over that seperation anxiety that most kindergarteners have.  I hope this helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN