Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You want my kid to pass gas where?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM
  • 56 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have gotten some interesting and silly notes from my sons teacher through out the year but the one she sent yesterday made me crack up. She put "please talk with your son about the appropriate places to pass gas" my first thought was "WTH?" Of all things she is concerned about she is concerned about my son farting? Well I thought he was doing excessively to where he was disrupting class but when I asked him he said he only farted twice and said excuse me both times. So then I asked where his teacher wants him to pass gass and he said in the bathroom. Well from experience sometimes you really can't control your farts they just come. Even if you try to hold them in the moment you move they come out which is why I tell my son to excuse himself when he does pass. I mean what else can I do? I did talk with him and ask him to try and make it out to the bathroom or at least to the hallway. Still I don't think this should really be a concern especially with only a month in a half left if the school year.
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM

If you are getting a note from the teacher, then clearly your son is disrupting the class with his issues.  He needs to go to the bathroom before he lets loose.  I agree with the teacher and frankly don't understand why you would want your son to make a spectacle of himself in the classroom.

funny_girl3
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Lol.  I kind of understand where the teacher is coming from, because once one kid farts then the rest of the class will immitate and before you know it you've got a chorus of (fake) farts going.  If your son initiated something like that twice in one day I can understand why the teacher got frustrated.

Cloudfairy
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM
I don't WANT my son to make a spectical of himself but honestly how do you hold in a fart? I did speak with him about it because I do want to help the teacher out and I don't want class to be disrupted because it takes time AWAY from learning but you can't ALWAYS hold in gas sometimes it just happens.
starr377
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:29 AM

seriously, as along as he excuses himself she needs to get past it herself or if the smell is bothersomme then get the kids up to stretch and move around for a few minutes. my daughter is in kindergarden and this issue was adressed at the beginning of the year when several would do it at the same time and laugh about it. she sent notes home asking us to talk to them about excusing thmselves and she acommidates also by having them get up and move around without making giggles about it. what a prude to be making more out of it then there needs to be! it's normal and natural and with the school meals that are now fed to our children they are full of vegtables and healthy foods that cause it to happen more.

WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes you cant hold it in and it just comes out. Can you always hold yours in?

Quoting mjande4:

If you are getting a note from the teacher, then clearly your son is disrupting the class with his issues.  He needs to go to the bathroom before he lets loose.  I agree with the teacher and frankly don't understand why you would want your son to make a spectacle of himself in the classroom.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM
3 moms liked this
I would write the teacher a note back and let her know that sometimes you can't hold it in that it slips out.
I can't believe some of the people on here can't understand that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never understood the whole "pass gas only in the bathroom" concept.  Even as an adult, I think it's sort of ridiculous.  If I'm out and about and I feel a fart coming, I will do what I can to try to keep it more silent or maybe try to go to where there are less people around, but saying 'take it to the bathroom' just seems like overkill.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to talk to kids about their reaction to a fart.  I know a kids natural reaction is to laugh.  I think we need to teach kids to not laugh and to treat it like a burp instead, saying "excuse me" when it happens.  But it's beyond ridiculous to ask a kid to hold it in and run to the bathroom every time they need to toot.

I think the teacher is off her rocker.

MrsLondon
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I think the teacher is being a bit ridiculous and if it's an issue of him being a disruption then that's what needs to be at the forefront of the note not him passing gas. Teacher's write notes for EVERYTHING!! There seems to be nothing that can be handled at school anymore these days. 

honeydewmommy
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this

Ask her if its disrupting the class , get the specifics. There has to be a reason why they are making a big deal out of it. I udnerstand they can't hold it. But  there must be something else going on with it..

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

On the once in a blue moon occurrence, I step outside or in a different room.  It's just common courtesy and manners, both of which, it seems this child is missing.

Quoting WillsMOM72:

Sometimes you cant hold it in and it just comes out. Can you always hold yours in?

Quoting mjande4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)