Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Birthday party, advice welcomed

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM
  • 43 Replies
I'm planning a party for my sons 6th birthday party. We've never had a big party before, usually just family. I was planning to invite his class. I found a venue that I love, it's a farm. The kids all go on a hay ride, meet and pet all the animals. Then play games. The problem is, it's about a 40 minute drive. Keep in mind, i live in a rural area, the closest Walmart is a 30 minute drive! Ha! There are very few venues that are closer, one has a pool and I'd rather not, another is an elementary school, then there is a run down community center. The others would be about $100 less, but then I'd have to supply entertainment. The farm is $200 and I don't have to do anything, plus it's slightly educational. Would you drive your kid to a classmates party that was 40 minutes away, but at a really cool place?? I plan on stressing that we will not be doing gifts. My son also shares a bday with another boy in class. I don't want other moms to feel like I'm trying to compete for the best bday party. Ugh. This party stuff stinks! Lol!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM
4 moms liked this

As long as all costs are covered, i would drive dd out to enjoy her friends bday party.

bellawomen
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Personally, pool parties are fun and easy. No entertainment needed, kids do it on their own. You can do fun things like contests, races, etc. You need to check into lifeguards though. $100 is a steal.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I would take my kids if they wanted to go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyChance
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM
My son isn't the strongest swimmer. We are working on it, but I'm not at that comfort level yet. When he's a better swimmer, I'll be all about the pool parties!! Ha!

Quoting bellawomen:

Personally, pool parties are fun and easy. No entertainment needed, kids do it on their own. You can do fun things like contests, races, etc. You need to check into lifeguards though. $100 is a steal.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I've driven 40 minutes to birthday parties before.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I would drive my children that far for sure.  In a rural area, 40 minutes really isn't that far at all, especially when you consider that you probably drive that far to get groceries.

We had my youngest son's birthday party at a farm when he was around that age and it was a big hit.  All of the kids loved it.

kayelynnesmommy
by New Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in a rural area 40 minutes is the norm here for a decent party as well. I would drive it if dd wanted to go.
jen113000
by Jenna on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Same here

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I would take my kids if they wanted to go.
miss_AP
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Just do it. I would drive them out to it, how fun!

bellawomen
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:35 PM
I can understand. We threw my son a indoor swim party for his 7th birthday. His birthday is in December and even though we live in San Diego there was no way we could do it outside. we had a couple of children who couldn't swim, so they wore life jackets.

Quoting MommyChance:

My son isn't the strongest swimmer. We are working on it, but I'm not at that comfort level yet. When he's a better swimmer, I'll be all about the pool parties!! Ha!

Quoting bellawomen:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)