Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

my son's teacher accuses foreigners for the Boston tragedy

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 67 Replies
So yestersay my son tells me that his teacher told the class that a foreigner probably set off those bombs at the Boston marathon because they are jealous of Americans! I was shocked that a teacher could be that ignorant and tell a group of 7yr olds something so crazy. But I told my son that AMERICANS do stupid stuff in their own country too, like the tragedy in Newtown and the guy that shot up that movie theater. I am upset that she would say something like that to 1st graders because children are so impressionable and that just sets the stage for prejudices and racism. What would yall do if your kid came and told you that?
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM
5 moms liked this
The first thing I would do is email the teachers and find out exactly what was said. Kids don't always hear or remember things correctly. Your explanation to him was very good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pbjacey86
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Thanks. I thought about asking her what was said exactly because kids can get things mixed up. But mentioning "foreigner" has me thinking that she probably said what he told me she said!
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM
It's very possible she used that word but I would still investigate.

Quoting pbjacey86:

Thanks. I thought about asking her what was said exactly because kids can get things mixed up. But mentioning "foreigner" has me thinking that she probably said what he told me she said!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Since you weren't actually in the class, you have no way of knowing what was really said or the context.  I wouldn't do anything other than exactly what you did do, which was explain your thoughts to your son.  Much ado about nothing.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I would talk to the teacher in a non-accusatory manner to find out what her side of the story is.  Not saying that your kid is lying, but first graders are notorious for not retelling stories 100% correctly, especially when it is something that happened hours earlier.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I would go to the principal honestly. I would also tell the teacher to keep their ignorance at home

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Edit: stupid thing posted twice

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I would definitely talk to the teacher first to her the whole thing from the horses mouth.  The news is very conflicting right now as to whom may have done this

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Well i have bern reading newspaper articles stating that adter examination the bomb looked like the IEDs over in afghanastan/iraq and ither places, BUT, it is not the teachers place to relay that info to the class. I would talk to her and the principle
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
annelauer
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I would be furious. I would, however, speak with the teacher calmly and explain what my child thought they said and ask for clarification. Hopefully it was a misunderstanding. Yikes!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN