Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

2 days before the cut off date for Kindergarten?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM
  • 82 Replies

Here in Ohio our cut off date is August 1st. My son will turn 5 July 30th. I took him for screening in march and received a letter stating that he would benefit from another year of preschool. He has been in preschool for a year. I called the school and the guidance counselor told me that he could not say or sing the ABC's, he couldn't point to certain body parts and he didn't know opposites like up and down, short and tall. First of all, he has known all of these since he was 2 and has gone over these everyday 5 days a week in preschool. Secondly, when I got off of the phone with him I asked my son all of these and he knew all of them. I asked him why he didn't say those at the screening and he said he was bored and the ABC's are boring. But when he's in preschool he goes along with everything the class is doing. He stands in line, raises his hand when his name is called, says his sight words and letter sounds, writes his first name, cut's crafts, he can count passed 10. He even knows a little addition and subtraction and understands the concept of it. They said he did above average with his motor skills but his speech could use a little work because his r sounds like a w. They also said that that is common for boys and they don't worry about it much until they are 8 years old. I feel that the cut off date is a little early but his birthday does fall before August 1st so it is my decision.

Advice anyone? Would you send him or hold him back a year?

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM
4 moms liked this
Let him shine in preschool another yr. You can choose the same one or a new one that has a kindergarten readiness program. Boys do better generally , imho, to wait if their bdays are close to cutoff.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM
2 moms liked this

I would wait another year to start him!!  Kindergarten is all academic and requires emotional maturity.  There is NO downside to waiting and an entire list of negatives if you do start him.

KatSH
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM

My fear is that he will get too bored and stop liking school.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Boredom is a copout.  There are transitional preschools and kindergartens that you can enroll him in.  In addition, YOU can motivate/supplement the material at home.

Quoting KatSH:

KatSH
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I started late and really struggled. If he starts late and he needs to be held back then I think he'd start feeling like an outcast.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM

He apparently isn't comfortable doing things for unknown people; which can hinder him in kindergarten and beyond. We have SO ASSESSMENTS that get done in K that a math teacher, a reading teacher etc come in to do them so the K teacher can teach. 

I would wait the year. I have sons that are close to the cut off as well (in NY) and have registered them with the "I will know for sure based on how they do at screening."

ambermarie2006
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Boys seem to have more trouble when they start early. I have heard its very beneficial to give boys more time to mature.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I would do what you feel is best. My oldest son's bday is the very end of July also. He started kindergarten at 5 without knowing all of that. He has since graduated HS and is in the AF.  My youngest dd's bday is in the beginning of August. She started at 5 also and is now in 5th grade. She might have benefited from another year of preschool, but she works hard and gets good grades.

KatSH
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Quoting mjande4:

Boredom is a copout.  There are transitional preschools and kindergartens that you can enroll him in.  In addition, YOU can motivate/supplement the material at home.

Quoting KatSH:

I do a lot of that. Thanks for your opinion.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM

You need to read Malcom Gladwell's "Outliers".  In addition research 'kindergarten redshirting".  It's VERY common and you would be doing him a HUGE disservice by starting him that young.

Quoting KatSH:

I started late and really struggled. If he starts late and he needs to be held back then I think he'd start feeling like an outcast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)