Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

bus is coming...hurry up **update**

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 36 Replies
Dd 6 and dd 7 refuse to dress themselves in the morning for school. Dd6 I have to literally carry to the bus stop every morning. Thus makes for stressful mornings. They both know how to dress themselves when they are going somewhere, like church, they do it. I believe they are to big four all this mess. Currently I wake them up around 7 and they get on the bus for 7:45. I dress them because I don't want them missing the bus. It's not that they don't want to go to school, they just dint want to dress themselves for school. Any suggestions?

FIRST DAY GETTING THEM UP AND MAKING THEM DRESS THEMSELVES. I DID NOT WAKE THEM UP EARLIER, BUT I DID HAVE A TALK WITH THEM LAST NIGHT. DD 7 GOT HERSELF DRESSED IN A TIMELY MANNER AND EVEN FIXED HERSELF BREAKFAST. DD 6 IS UP BUT HAD YET TO GET HERSELF DRESSED, SHE IS IN HER WAY.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ramita
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Stop dressing them. They are taking advantage of you. If they miss they bus punish them (take a favorite toy away, or make them stay in their room for x amount of time or if they miss the bus they're bedtime is moved up 30 min, etc).

You may also consider getting the up earlier. They may benefit from some playtime before getting ready.
WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM
I would make them get up earlier and refuse to dress them.
atm1979
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM
I can't afford for them to miss the bus...I currently don't have transportation. Our school is really really strict about absents and tardiness. I thought about waking them up earlier too.

Quoting ramita:

Stop dressing them. They are taking advantage of you. If they miss they bus punish them (take a favorite toy away, or make them stay in their room for x amount of time or if they miss the bus they're bedtime is moved up 30 min, etc).

You may also consider getting the up earlier. They may benefit from some playtime before getting ready.

bleumonster
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM
2 moms liked this
I've always been a fan of the pj method but this doesn't work as well if they are catching the bus. If they dont get dressed by a certain time, they go in their pj's. You might try posting a chart of what they have to do before leaving. If they get smiley faces on their chart, they get a small treat after school, if not they dont or even lose a priviledge.
atm1979
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Here is mandatory uniforms and my girl's skills go everywhere in their pjs if allowed.

Quoting bleumonster:

I've always been a fan of the pj method but this doesn't work as well if they are catching the bus. If they dont get dressed by a certain time, they go in their pj's. You might try posting a chart of what they have to do before leaving. If they get smiley faces on their chart, they get a small treat after school, if not they dont or even lose a priviledge.

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My only advice is waking up earlier then. I would also make them go to bed earlier too.  What time do they currently go to bed at? Maybe they are not getting enough sleep and this is their "lazy" way out by making you dress them.

Raine2007
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Have them get up earlier and make sure that they have their cloths set out the night before. My 6yr is required to be dressed before she leaves her room for breakfast. 

corrinacs
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I would make sure they realize that dressnig themselves is NOT an option.  Its a requirement!  Make them do it.  The more you keep giving in and dressing them, the more they are going to resort to this behavior.

If they are tardy, make consequences related to that tardiness.

Good luck!

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM
4 moms liked this
Send them in pjs and with bed head. Alert the school, but you won't have to do this more than a couple of times.
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Get them up earlier and have them dress themselves. If they miss the bus, then take them to school in the pj's. It will only happen once I assure you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)