Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Booster Help Please :)

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM
  • 20 Replies

My daughter is 7 yrs. She weighs 42 lbs and is 4ft tall. She sits in a no back booster (harmony youth booster). She asked recently if she could get out of the booster. I checked the requirements online. 8 yrs or 4'9". So she's staying in her booster. With her weight being so low does she need to be in a highback booster? Confused on weight and boosters.

I found a booster that I'm thinking about purchasing, it's the Sunshine Kids Monterey/Diono sante fe booster for $70 (no high back). It has tethers on the front and back of the seat. I like the seat because of the tethers. 

I drive a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. We just purchased this vehicle. My husband believes he found a tether/latch in the back of the van. Not sure. I also have a baby on the way. I read that Dodge can retrofit a tether/latch in the van. Checking into that too. But I've also just read conflicting things about tether/latch systems. GRR.

So....I want her in a booster until she is 4'9" or more and has gained more weight, and one with tethers.... Isn't that the safest?

Thank you!

Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Tethers should be in all (or at least most) newer cars.  In my opinion, they are safer since they are latched properly to the car.  It's easier to latch down and get the hard part done, so each time you put your child in, you are just dealing with the seatbelt.

Beyond that, I do believe she should stay in the booster for now.  I was a small one too, so I know its tough :/.  But it is indeed the safest place for her to be!  In her seating position now, does it look like she's well protected?

myfirstloves
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Quoting corrinacs:

Tethers should be in all (or at least most) newer cars.  In my opinion, they are safer since they are latched properly to the car.  It's easier to latch down and get the hard part done, so each time you put your child in, you are just dealing with the seatbelt.

Beyond that, I do believe she should stay in the booster for now.  I was a small one too, so I know its tough :/.  But it is indeed the safest place for her to be!  In her seating position now, does it look like she's well protected?

It does unless she falls asleep, then she lays way over on whatever she can. That bothered me, but now it worries me. Her asking if she could get out of her booster prompted me to do more reasearch and I found a video about a child that was thrown from a car while in his booster. So i'm not sure that she looks well protected. I would feel better if the seat were tethered to the car and if she was able to be upright if she fell asleep. 

Pregnancy Ticker

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

She has to stay in a booster. I do not think there are any laws about what kind of booster.   I thought my dd was small at 50 lbs and 4ft.  We just promoted her to a backless since she is at the height where the strap sits properly across her shoulder and lap.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM

She needs to stay in a booster until she can pass the 5-step safety test, which may not happen until well past the age of 8.  I have a 9.5 year old who is still in a booster.

As long as the shoulder belt is fitting properly, across the shoulder and middle of her chest and not cutting into her neck, then the low back booster is fine.

I don't know much about which is safter for a sleeping child as my boys haven't slept in the car since they were infants.  Is falling asleep in the car something that she still does regularly?

myfirstloves
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:34 PM

yes, she does.

Quoting steelcrazy:

She needs to stay in a booster until she can pass the 5-step safety test, which may not happen until well past the age of 8.  I have a 9.5 year old who is still in a booster.

As long as the shoulder belt is fitting properly, across the shoulder and middle of her chest and not cutting into her neck, then the low back booster is fine.

I don't know much about which is safter for a sleeping child as my boys haven't slept in the car since they were infants.  Is falling asleep in the car something that she still does regularly?

Pregnancy Ticker

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Mine is staying in his booster till he is the height limit.

family in the van   Mom of four

thePBandJmom
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM

She needs to ride in a booster until she meets the requirements in this test. A high back booster is preferable because they offer side-impact protection. At least most do nowdays. And obviously make sure she doesn't put her belt behind her or unbuckle and play with it.

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

thePBandJmom
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:36 PM

http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/

This link will show you what a proper belt fit look like and help you choose one with good fit ratings.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Quoting myfirstloves:

Quoting corrinacs:

It does unless she falls asleep, then she lays way over on whatever she can. That bothered me, but now it worries me. Her asking if she could get out of her booster prompted me to do more reasearch and I found a video about a child that was thrown from a car while in his booster. So i'm not sure that she looks well protected. I would feel better if the seat were tethered to the car and if she was able to be upright if she fell asleep. 

THis is why my 4 ft, 53 lb 6 yo DS is still in a 5 pt booster.  We travel often enough (~once a month) & he'll fall asleep in the car.  When he was in a high back booster, he would flop over.  I found a 5 pt booster that he'll fit in for quite some time - he and I are happier since he wasn't comfortable or safe when flopping over.

When his K classmates asks about the 5 pt seat (its happened 2 or 3 times), he tells them the story of me getting nervous about him falling asleep in the car. :)

luv.my.kids.365
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)