Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Underweight and a picky eater, help please!

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son is 8 years old and has always been a picky eater. He has always been very slim, which is something I have discussed with his doctor over the years. He barely eats, and the fact he was allergic to dairy didn't help. We recently found out he is not allergic to dairy anymore, but he is so underwieght that our doctor used the words "illegal" and "malnourished" at our last visit. He is only 40 inches tall and is 49lbs. My daughter is 5 and weighs 49lbs. I am having a really hard time putting weigt on him. Does anyone have ideas on some high calorie foods or snacks I can use to help him gain weight? I am worried for my son and also for our family if he does not meet our doctor's standards by next month. Please no judging, I have already gotten enough of it from his doctor. I love my son and I would never let him get unhealthy on purpose. I honestly did not know it was this bad until our doctor noticed. I offer him plenty of food I just have a hard time getting him to eat. Thanks!
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristenFowles
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM

hmm..  My 5 year old is 44 inches tall and 42lbs..   So at 40 inches and 49lbs.. that just doesn't sound unhealthy to me..

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

BusyBee908
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Quoting KristenFowles:

hmm..  My 5 year old is 44 inches tall and 42lbs..   So at 40 inches and 49lbs.. that just doesn't sound unhealthy to me..

Supposedly the average height and wight for his age and gender is 45 inches and 57lbs. He is veery skinny we can see his bones!
KristenFowles
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM

She's quite thin, but she doesn't look TOO thin.. So odd how differently people carry weight! 

A picky eater.. hmm.. Have you asked him what kinds of things he'd like to try? Invited him to help you make meals/snacks/etc?  Tried to get him more interested?

Quoting BusyBee908:

Quoting KristenFowles:

Supposedly the average height and wight for his age and gender is 45 inches and 57lbs. He is veery skinny we can see his bones!

samsbaby78
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM
I have no ideas for you. My eleven year old is 56 inches tall and he weighs 63 pounds. You can see every bone he has. He is also a very picky eater. I am trying to get him to drink milkshakes that I sneak protein into and he won't touch them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BusyBee908
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Quoting KristenFowles:

She's quite thin, but she doesn't look TOO thin.. So odd how differently people carry weight! 

A picky eater.. hmm.. Have you asked him what kinds of things he'd like to try? Invited him to help you make meals/snacks/etc?  Tried to get him more interested?

Quoting BusyBee908:

Quoting KristenFowles:

They must carry it differently. Your daughter is very pretty. She is 5? Maybe she is tall for her age?

KristenFowles
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

She is tall for her age.  And taller than your son, but weighs less than him too..

Obviously they carry it very differently!  That's why I hate those charts, and what they "should" and "should not" weigh.  There are so many more factors than strictly weight.

Quoting BusyBee908:

Quoting KristenFowles:

Quoting BusyBee908:

Quoting KristenFowles:

They must carry it differently. Your daughter is very pretty. She is 5? Maybe she is tall for her age?

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM

What will he eat on a daily basis?   Will he drink milk now , eat yogurt, etc?  A good way to add calories is using olive oil when you make most proteins, you can add tons of veggies/fruits to a smoothie as well as peanut butter.   For me when i was underweight what helped was PB toast and a glass of OJ before bed.  The OJ helps all the nutrients from PB be absorbed.   DD is picky and we add sour cream or yogurt to mashed potatoes as well as mash cauliflower into the potatoes.   Beef stew gets turned into a gravy via blender.  She loves the Fruitables by apple and eve brand in apple harvest flavor.

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Ovaltine & carnation instant breakfast are how we kept our currently 6 then 4 year ols DD from getting to skinny. She isnt a big eater either especially in the morning. So we did one of those options as her chocolate milk.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:12 AM
These charts are a guideline. As long as your child, picky or not, is eatting a fairly well balanced menu, I would not worry about it.

If YOU think the concern is legitimate, get a second opinion.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:49 AM
My son will be 8 in November and he weighs 50 lbs. That's not far from your child and my Dr has never complained about his weight.

I would seek out another opinion and ask for recommendations for what to feed him if there truly is a concern.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)