Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Parents and blatant disrespect for the rules

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM
  • 33 Replies
My son is in 2n grade, I drive him to school and drop him off every morning.

There is a drop off line/ramp and I dutifully get in line every day and wait to drop my kid off near the front door to the school.

The problem is there are always several parents who refuse to use the line, they pull up on the other side of the street and make their children walk across. There is NO crossing guard or Constable or anyone policing traffic, most likely due to budget cuts (sigh. Public school)

I am genuinely worried about the safety of these children who are made to cross the street right In the middle of traffic. Not to mention these parents are causing traffic jams as well by refusing to use the line.

I've been observing this all year and I haven't said anything to the school but I think something needs to be said.

Wwyd?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Is there actually a rule about pulling up and dropping off on the other side of the road?!  Unless it's against the law, i.e. red lane, there isn't much that you can do.  Just worry about your own child. FTR poor parking/dropping off situations are NOT unique to private and charter either.

sarahfire
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Yes there is, in the past there have been Constables policing the traffic and telling parents not to pull up and drop off kids on the wrong side of the road.
I do worry about my own child but when I see other children being put in danger due to their parents laziness I feel something needs to be said.

Quoting mjande4:

Is there actually a rule about pulling up and dropping off on the other side of the road?!  Unless it's against the law, i.e. red lane, there isn't much that you can do.  Just worry about your own child. FTR poor parking/dropping off situations are NOT unique to private and charter either.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Let the authorities handle it and butt out.  Unless you want to volunteer as the crossing guard, which is an entire other can of worms, let it go.  There are bigger fish to fry.

Quoting sarahfire:

Yes there is, in the past there have been Constables policing the traffic and telling parents not to pull up and drop off kids on the wrong side of the road.
I do worry about my own child but when I see other children being put in danger due to their parents laziness I feel something needs to be said.

Quoting mjande4:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure that the school is well aware of the situation.  However, if this is a public street, there really isn't anything that the school can do to stop it other than send reminders home to parents, which I'm guessing they've done in the past.  You can call the cops if you feel so inclined, but I doubt that it will actually solve anything.

Momforhealth
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow.  I would mention it to your school prinicple.  Everything you are concerned with and offer a solution.  I have seen the school out enforcing traffic.  They can also send out letters to the entire school.  The can put of little barriers to keep cars from driving there.  If the principle doesnt do anything, call school district, police department.  They are always at our school re-enforcing traffic.  Besides parents should be driving 20mph or slower watching for kids.  I think parents have as much say. keep calling...squeeky wheels get fixed..  Who cares if ppl don't like it...it keeps kids safe.

sarahfire
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM

thank you. I didn't think I was out of line by thinking of "butting in" as another poster said, I am not normally the type to meddle but I feel the safety of the children should be the school's #1 concern. I may send an email to the principal addressing the issue.

Quoting Momforhealth:

Wow.  I would mention it to your school prinicple.  Everything you are concerned with and offer a solution.  I have seen the school out enforcing traffic.  They can also send out letters to the entire school.  The can put of little barriers to keep cars from driving there.  If the principle doesnt do anything, call school district, police department.  They are always at our school re-enforcing traffic.  Besides parents should be driving 20mph or slower watching for kids.  I think parents have as much say. keep calling...squeeky wheels get fixed..  Who cares if ppl don't like it...it keeps kids safe.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Do you really think that the principal doesn't know about the traffic issues!?  There are guidelines for school personnel.  For example, I teach at a school of 4000 with a seminary building across the street.  The LDS kids cross the street at the crosswalk hourly to attend.  The city cited our principal for standing with a stop sign, i.e., acting as the crossing guard because it violated some code. 

Quoting sarahfire:

thank you. I didn't think I was out of line by thinking of "butting in" as another poster said, I am not normally the type to meddle but I feel the safety of the children should be the school's #1 concern. I may send an email to the principal addressing the issue.

Quoting Momforhealth:

TabM
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I would say something to the principal regarding a crossing guard. At our school the janitors alternate crossing guard duty and then they have a few teachers out there who don't have full time classrooms like teachers aides, gym and art teachers, placed at stategic points where the kids have to cross lines of traffic on school grounds. It doesn't have to impact the school's budget if they repurpose teachers who aren't busy during those times.

And I don't agree with those telling you to butt out and mind your own business. Student safety and personel competancy is my business at my child's school.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Unfortunately I don't there's a lot you can do other than suggest a crossing guard.

calsmom62
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Due to a bottleneck around our school dropoff procedure and a child nearly being hit by another parent trying to drop their kid off, , our pta recently kicked up some money to pay a person to be in the lot earlier than normal dropoff to get kids safely to school over a longer stretch of time than the 15 min right beforre the bell.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)