Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should Sex Offenders Have To Make Themselves Known Beyond the Registry?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM
  • 16 Replies

Sex Offenders Now Required to Post Bright Red Signs in Their Yards -- About Time!

by Jeanne Sager

red front doorDo you know where the pedophiles are living in your neighborhood? What about your kids? Do you want them to know? What if you had no choice, because every sex offender in the neighborhood had a giant red sign planted in their front yard?

That's the new law in Bradford County, Florida, and I have to admit it sounds kind of ... awesome.

Controversial, yeah, but still ... awesome for busy moms like me. 

The truth is, as much as I try to keep up on the sex offender registry, I can't remember the last time I checked it. It was probably months ago, the last time someone said something on Facebook about this creep or that creep moving into the neighborhood.

Pedophiles are scary, but there are plenty of things that pose a much more immediate threat to our kids, things we need to stay on top of. The registry is a great tool for parents, but let's face it: we get busy. We don't have TIME to check it every darn day.

And yet, I want to know if they're out there. Don't you? They may not be the biggest threat to our kids, but it's well known that sex offenders do tend to re-offend.

I want to know if there are houses in the neighborhood I should keep my kid away from, just in case. If there are people I should keep an extra eye on at community events.

Big red signs in the front yard of dangerous offenders would be a huge help for busy moms who don't have time to hit the registry. They'd be a huge help for parents who don't have access to a registry (yes, in this day and age, there are still plenty of folks who have neither computer nor Internet access). They'd be a bright red warning sign to kids to remind them that Mommy said that's a yard that can swallow Frisbees and baseballs; she'll be happy to buy you a new one.

Now if only we could get signs for potential offenders, we'd really feel better about letting our kids wander the neighborhood.

Do you think these signs are good for families? Would they scare your kids?

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM

i like the sign idea, but i also know where they currently reside thanks to the sex offender app. lol.

sunflower37
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I like the sign idea too. I check the sex offender registry for my neighborhood so far there isn't but one nearby but I am sure it maybe more because some of them don't even let the authorities know if they have moved.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I'm all for branding... right in the center of the forehead!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Newfie_Mom
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM
5 moms liked this
I think the degree of the offense should be taken into account. A serial pedophile with multiple offenses goes on the same list as a drunk kid at a party on a college campus caught peeing in public. So I don't think some young kid who does something dumb should have to post a sign saying I got drunk and was too drunk to find a bathroom.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

I think the degree of the offense should be taken into account. A serial pedophile with multiple offenses goes on the same list as a drunk kid at a party on a college campus caught peeing in public. So I don't think some young kid who does something dumb should have to post a sign saying I got drunk and was too drunk to find a bathroom.

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I think it's a good idea.  I would talk to my kids to not be afraid but to be careful.

family in the van   Mom of four

GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I would rather teach my kids to be safe, teach them good vs bad touch etc than brand people who, hopefully, are trying to rehabilitate themselves.  They are humans, too, and should have some rights.  We can know who/where they are from the registry.  But they should be able to get on with their lives, too.

I'm a little surprised to hear that a FL county would have this law since, from what I've been told, FL makes it so hard for them that they aren't even expect to live in a house/apt but are assigned a bridge to live under instead.

arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM

What's to keep someone from falsely planting one of these red signs on the property of an individual that he/she has a grudge against or just doesn't like for whatever reason?

Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I'm going to be in the minority here.

I think a sign in the yard is going way too far. What stuck out at me from the article was, "this would help busy moms like me". So because you are a busy mom and don't take the time to check the registry if you are concerned, then someone needs to brand themselves.  

When does it stop, why not make bad teachers put a sign on their classroom door, so busy moms don't have worry about figuring that out. I know apples and oranges (and I agree that I'm being very dramatic with that) but I can see it getting out of control.

AND congress can't pass gun laws that would help protect everyone but this is legal, really??

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't like this idea at all. 

First of all, there are registered sex offenders who are not dangerous pedophiles. The sex offender registry applies the same way to someone who is arrested for peeing public as it is to someone who abused a child. I don't think every single person on that registry should have to wear the badge of sex offender for the rest of their lives. 

Also, it would just create a false sense of security. Kids are frequently abused by offenders who haven't been caught before.  If kids know a red sign in the yard means there is a sex offender in the house they will assume no sign means no sex offender. We know the registries are incomplete and inaccurate. 

I think the best way to keep our kids safe is the have frequent ongoing talks with them about their bodies and what tough is appropriate and what is not. We also have to teach them that anyone can be dangerous. They need to have the skills to  say no and get away when someone they trust tries to do something wrong.

Relying on red signs and registries could give many people a false sense of security. We need to empower our kids to protect themselves and tell someone if they can't. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)