Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Potty Problems in 6 yr old

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

MY 6yr old daughter is suddenly having trouble controlling her bowels. She was sent home from school on Wednesday because they said she had diarreha. After I picked her up she told me that her tummy never hurt, she just pooped her pants. It has happened daily since. 

I tried to talk to her about why she thinks this is happening but she says she doesn't know. I asked her if there was something emotional she wanted to talk about or if there was something bothering her, she said no. 

I can't help but notice that this started after we told her that I am pregnant and due around her birthday. Could she have some emotional issues with that or is this most likely just her growning and not paying attention? 

I don't know what to do to help her. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Get her to the doctor would be the first thing and then if you feel that the new changes in life have triggered this, a child therapist may also be in order.   I would go to doctor first just to make sure that there is nothing physically wrong.  This age, they do not always know what emotion they are feeling or why they feel it.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM
This

Quoting frndlyfn:

Get her to the doctor would be the first thing and then if you feel that the new changes in life have triggered this, a child therapist may also be in order.   I would go to doctor first just to make sure that there is nothing physically wrong.  This age, they do not always know what emotion they are feeling or why they feel it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Maybe she's embarrassed to poop at school all the sudden. Have you asked about that?
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Get a physical first. Saying that her stomach didn't hurt first signals that there may be a physical problem. When I was a kid, the little boy next door pooped in his pants all the time (It wasn't diarrhea). Come to find out when he got older, he had a tumor growing in his abdomen and he never knew when he had to go because it was pressing on the nerve that would have signaled it.

Also, pay attention to what she is eating or drinking. Maybe there's something she is allergic to, or maybe she had a little food poisoning.

ZombyMommy
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I was watching today and it seems to be more leakage than poop. It's a lot of liquid with not a lot of stoole. We don't have any insurance so I don't know how to get her into the Dr unless I take her to the ER. 

Quoting Kathy489:

Get a physical first. Saying that her stomach didn't hurt first signals that there may be a physical problem. When I was a kid, the little boy next door pooped in his pants all the time (It wasn't diarrhea). Come to find out when he got older, he had a tumor growing in his abdomen and he never knew when he had to go because it was pressing on the nerve that would have signaled it.

Also, pay attention to what she is eating or drinking. Maybe there's something she is allergic to, or maybe she had a little food poisoning.

Mom2Tabitha
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:13 PM

A walk in clinic will be cheaper and take less time than an ER visit.  If it is more "leakage" the doc may have you put her on Miralax to "fluff up" the stool and then taper her off of it.  That is what they did with my daughter at about that age.

Because of the timing, it could be emotional.  She may not even realize she is making her self do it.  Talking to her about what her role will be with the baby and the fact you think she is so awesome that you know she will be a GREAT big sis may help her know her place is one of importance.  .  

WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM
I would take her to the doctor and let him just make sure everything is ok.
SciFiMama91
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Since you don't have insurance go to a walk in clinic. We've got several urgent cares that double as a regular doctors office. It's not very expensive either. Good luck!
LadyAmaranth
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Definately try and get her checked out but my guess is it is related to the new things in her world that she is adjusting to.

My son started peeing at night, he was 7 then, when he'd done fine for years...it was because of my husband losing his job then being diagnosed with cancer and our lives turning upside down so emotional shifts can definately make those things happen too.

Bluecalm
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Could be constipation then.

Quoting ZombyMommy:

I was watching today and it seems to be more leakage than poop. It's a lot of liquid with not a lot of stoole. We don't have any insurance so I don't know how to get her into the Dr unless I take her to the ER. 

Quoting Kathy489:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)