Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

needing some advice..

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM
  • 10 Replies

my son will be starting the first grade next year...he has ADHD...and we will be moving to a different school district before he starts..i am worried this will be really hard on him because his speical ed teacher has kinda "coddled" him a bit this year...but his actual kindergarten teacher doesnt put up with his shit so to speak...and my STB-MIL says now that this teacher has "coddled" him throughout this year that when he goes into the first grade he is going to be thinking that his speical ed teacher will be there to have his back.

How can i get my son prepared enough for the first grade so that it wont be so stressful on him he doesnt take to change very well he has a rough time with assemblies and all of that in school amoung other things, I am just worried that the stress is going to get to him and he is just going to compeltely go crazy and be defiant cause he wont have that teacher to get him out of doing something.

And DF and his brothers and sisters have been in the district we are going to and when they were there the school was crap..but that was some 10years ago or so...i am sure tehre are new teachers and principles and new district stuff...she doesnt seem to think anything has changed in 10yrs..but at the same time i am stressing about it now cuase i know its going to be a BIG change for him.

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Does he have an IEP in place for the current school?  He may need to be evaluated at new school and see how it goes from there.  There is no way to know how he will do until he is put into the situation.

Velany
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:03 PM

yes, he has an IEP right now its stationary until 2016 but has a review in Feb of 2014...he also has occupational therapy and speech therapy as well STB-MIL is just worried he will only be in the speical classes and not in a regular class since he has an IEP and OT and speech therapy.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM
My dd is adhd, y was he needing to be in a special ed class? What i do is talk to the teacher before school starts. We had a meet and greet begore the school year started. I tell them her issues and we keep open comunication through the year. Shes in normal classes and other adhd family members are in normal classes. Thats y i asked about the reasoning behind special ed
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Velany
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM

he only has the speical ed class a few times a week sometimes more depending on his days some days he has good days and other days welll are just bad days where he doesnt want to listen and is really defiant towards his teacher.He is super smart so he often gets bored and when he gets bored...he tends to start messing around..the teachers have found other things for him to do while the class is finishing up their work but some days he gets to fidigty and his speical ed teacher comes and takes him to his classroom so his teacher can finish giving the lesson cause he gets done so fast.

Right now he is in his normal kindergarten class 88% of the time and the other time he is with his speical ed teacher and OT and speech therapy.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Tell him Kindergarten isn't like first grade. In first grade kids are expected to listen and work hard. It isn't going to be easy.   There really is a big difference between the way K is taught, and 1st grade and up. Let him know he might have a "strict" teacher. He may or may not like his teacher, but he will learn a lot.

Velany
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM

he LOVES school...if he could go on Saturdays & Sundays he would...he loves it..he jsut doesnt adapt to change very well...I am hoping for the best but STB-MIL seems to be thinking the worst.

mommytoeandb
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:46 PM
DD was diagnosed with ADHD in 1st grade. A firm teacher would be good. DD started in the gifted program - this year in 4th grade. She's never had an IEP, but we could ask for a 504 plan. Make sure he knows the rules (a visual reminder would be good) and the teacher communicates well. DD saw a private therapist until this year and I asked questions there. GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I am wondering if he may have some anxiety problems as well as the ADHD. Having meltdowns with change/transitions, and things out of the ordinary is a sign of having an anxiety disorder.  Have you mentioned his problems with changes in routine to his doctor to see what they think?

A therapist would have a lot of suggestions on coping skills to help him deal with transitions and changes in routine.

Velany
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:58 PM

we havent mentioned anything to his doctor because they dont happen that often cause we try and keep the same routine on a day to day basis...he also cant tolerate loud noises like assemblies and at one point he couldnt stand the vacumme cleaner

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I would consider calling his doctor and mentioning his problems with changes in routine.  You will also need to mention his reactions to the changes in routine.  Honestly, going out of your way to keep to the same rountine isn't doing anything to help him.  He will eventually have to learn that the world doesn't revolve around him and he will have to learn how to cope with change.  The sooner that he learns this, the easier that it will be on everyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)