Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

no talking in the cafeteria? seriously?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM
  • 48 Replies

does your child's school have a no talking in the cafeteria policy????

WOW, i didn't even know this was a policy till today my 6yr old kindergardener brought home a disciplinary note for doing so. i can't believe what an absurd policy this is. i know children need to be able to eat as much lunch as they can before leaving but when class time is struction time they should be aloud to socialize at both lunch and recess!

not to mention for those who eaqt school lunch have to wait for it to cool down before they can even eat it anyway. they really expect them to sit their like toy soldiers and stare at it. are schools seem more like prison than school.

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM
2 moms liked this
School lunch cool down! Hahaha! Have you see school lunches?
Talking in lunch is a privilege. Not a right.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

ALLOWED.......   Our cafeteria allows students to talk but if it causes disruption in the children eating, their seat gets changed around.   My dd rarely eats lunch since she talks too much (by her own admission).  One recess is right after lunch so they can get loud and hyper then.

Starshine-bela
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM
3 moms liked this
I feel lunch should be a break time so yes they should be permitted to socialize
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Back in LA, the schools were no talking on the bus, in the hall way or cafeteria. They only socialized at recess. I hated it. Soo glad her in AL they have traffic lights. Some days are red meaning no talking. But most is yellow (talk quietly) or green
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM
They can talk here although I seem to recall they do a silent lunch once or twice a year and I think it's tied to a prize. Not sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM

If the talking gets too loud they flash the lights and that reminds the kids they need to be doing a little more eating and less talking. They get so little time for outside play as it is, so I get that they want the kids to eat more, talk less, so that they get that much needed outside play time. They are not forced to be silent though.

mhaney03
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:00 PM

yes that is policy here. 

thankfully my kids are now homeschooled.  we do science experiments on our lunch sometimes haha.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM

At my sons' school, they are ALLOWED to talk during lunch. I can understand wanting quiet, though, if the children don't eat enough or at all because they are busy talking.  But as a small, private school, they don't have a need to make them sit THERE as much.  OUR school doesn't seem like a prison - and I feel bad for the kids whose school ends up feeling that way because some students (now or in the past) ruined it for everyone.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Our kids are allowed to talk at lunch. I despise the no talking policy and would pull my kids from school right away if it came to our school.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids can talk at lunch, but I do understand why some schools have this policy.  Having said this, the policy obviously didn't bother your child too much since it took until APRIL for him to have a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN