Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Attendance: How much is too little?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Max
  • 60 Replies

How many missed days in a nine week period do you consider excessive and would impact learning?

I know I've asked this before but it's one of my biggest struggles as a teacher. I teach at a very rural, low income school. So students struggle with transportation and school isn't always a high priority in the home. I deal with many parents who don't seem to understand that when the kids aren't there I can't do my job. My idea of good attendance seems to be very different from some parents. So I am wondering what the consensus is here in ESK.

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that, unless severe illness is happening, more than a couple of days is too many. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I really think more than five days in a semester is too many.  Our district says at 10 that there is no credit, but that's way too many in my opinion.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with momtoBrenna, two per quarter, which is in line with five a semester.

NikkiDoll
by Nicole on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM
5 or more days is excessive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM

My daughter was sick all the time her Kindergarden year.  I know by mid February she had missed 6 weeks due to be being sick. :(  This is extreme, but we knew it was effecting her learning drastically so we had to pull her to homeschool.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

I think that, unless severe illness is happening, more than a couple of days is too many. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Quoting mjande4:

I really think more than five days in a semester is too many.  Our district says at 10 that there is no credit, but that's way too many in my opinion.

That's the problem. The district rules are way too lenient. By the time they've missed enough for anyone to step in it's already way too much. 

They can miss 10 unexcused and then 10 excused a semester before any action is taken by the district. That's more than once a week. 

jaytee
by Jen on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I think 2-3 days per nine week quarter is acceptable. Anything over is excessive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Twenty out of ninety or so!?  Yikes that's WAY too many.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting mjande4:

That's the problem. The district rules are way too lenient. By the time they've missed enough for anyone to step in it's already way too much. 

They can miss 10 unexcused and then 10 excused a semester before any action is taken by the district. That's more than once a week. 

Pnukey
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Our district allows for 10 absences before anyone says boo.

I think 5 is more reasonable. Students can't learn if they're not at school.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM

This exact reason is why we're starting our ds off with virtual schooling. It will cut back on illnesses and be easier to catch up when he does get sick. Our dd missed 5 days in a row right after she started at her current school but, she was in the hospital and then at home with pneumonia and 103+ temps. Since then, she has only missed a couple of days for doc appts and usually they are only partial days. 

Quoting Pukalani79:

My daughter was sick all the time her Kindergarden year.  I know by mid February she had missed 6 weeks due to be being sick. :(  This is extreme, but we knew it was effecting her learning drastically so we had to pull her to homeschool.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN