Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School Supplies

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Max
  • 233 Replies
8 moms liked this

I need to keep this for the fall to combat all the moms who get mad that they have to send 2 dozen pencils. 

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM
I will admit, i prefer to but supplies that MY kids use, NOT the class, but i do understand that not all parents buy for their kids leaving teacher to try and pay out of pocket. But still sucks at times. Especislly for those who have to pay for like 5 kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM
3 moms liked this

It really is about saving time, not stocking up on supplies for kids that don't have them. 

When teachers collect all the supplies up front they can pass them during the year as they're needed. If each child only brings what he or she needs to start school, as things start getting used up it's a nightmare to get more. I used to constantly have to write notes and call to try to get the kids the things they needed. Collecting it all when school starts saves tons of time. 

Quoting sahmw2010:

I will admit, i prefer to but supplies that MY kids use, NOT the class, but i do understand that not all parents buy for their kids leaving teacher to try and pay out of pocket. But still sucks at times. Especislly for those who have to pay for like 5 kids.

Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Exactly.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

It really is about saving time, not stocking up on supplies for kids that don't have them. 

When teachers collect all the supplies up front they can pass them during the year as they're needed. If each child only brings what he or she needs to start school, as things start getting used up it's a nightmare to get more. I used to constantly have to write notes and call to try to get the kids the things they needed. Collecting it all when school starts saves tons of time. 

Quoting sahmw2010:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:04 PM
3 moms liked this

I have so much to say about supplies, but so little time . . .   Dreaming of a vacation in the tropics.  Is it time yet?

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Exactly.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting sahmw2010:

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I only have one child in each of my kids classes, NO! I will not send in supplies for the other kids! My kids take in supplies as needed.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting theresaphilly:

I only have one child in each of my kids classes, NO! I will not send in supplies for the other kids! My kids take in supplies as needed.

So if your child runs out of pencils it's OK with you if the teacher just tells him he can't do anything until he gets more?

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM
6 moms liked this

Oh here we go.  I may need to go get popcorn and a drink.

Quoting theresaphilly:

jamianne
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually like that our school send home the supply list on the last day and expects everything to be brought in on the first day of school.  It's a ton of stuff, but at least I'm not worrying about having to run out at 9:00 on a Sunday night in search of a pack of pencils because my son forgot to tell me he'd run out!  And if there's something that the teacher expect to need more of throughout the year (ie, glue sticks), they note that one the supply sheet and I can stock up when I'm buying their supplies.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Here ya go, I'll share.  I hope that the beverage is to your liking.

popcorn   margarita time

Quoting mjande4:

Oh here we go.  I may need to go get popcorn and a drink.

Quoting theresaphilly:

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting jamianne:

I actually like that our school send home the supply list on the last day and expects everything to be brought in on the first day of school.  It's a ton of stuff, but at least I'm not worrying about having to run out at 9:00 on a Sunday night in search of a pack of pencils because my son forgot to tell me he'd run out!  And if there's something that the teacher expect to need more of throughout the year (ie, glue sticks), they note that one the supply sheet and I can stock up when I'm buying their supplies.

That's how I see it too. 

It's easier for me as a parent and easier for the teachers. 

Some people get very caught up in this idea that the supplies are given to other kids. They don't seem to understand that their own child is also using the things brought in by classmates. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN