Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

IEP meeting question

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 31 Replies

I'm going to be giving the special ed co-ordinater at ds's school a call this week, but I was hoping to get a feel for what to expect beforehand from some others first.  

I know there's supposed to be a yearly meeting to discuss the IEP and set new goals and whatnot.  DS's IEP didn't go into effect until February of this year.  I was wondering if the yearly meeting would be in February then?  Or would it be this June to work out any changes before next year?  Or in September?  I feel so lost with this!  

I know we can make changes to the IEP at any time, but I'd hate to leave the yearly meeting itself off until the middle of the school year.  I'm planning on asking the SPED teacher to meet with me before the end of this year because there are a few questions I have for her regarding possible changes for next year.  But I guess I'm wondering when the "big" meeting that includes the teachers and everyone will be?

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM

If it didn't go into effect until February, presumably you have already had your meeting this year?  Maybe I am confused?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM

The meeting won't be before the end of this year. It will probably be be around December or January because it has to be before the annual review date or the IEP will lapse. So most school schedule early in case anything delays the meeting. 

But like you said, that doesn't mean they can't make changes before the new school year starts. But when they write the IEP they are planning for it to go into the next school year so usually anything that would be needed for the next year would be included in this year's.

If you decide to make changes it's still the big meeting with all the people that would be at the annual meeting. The main point of the annual review is to check the student's progress on his IEP goals and determine what areas the student currently needs to focus on. So writing a whole new IEP now doesn't make sense since your child hasn't had the time to work on the goals written for him February.

jamianne
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Sorry, I probably should clarify.  We didn't request to have him evaluated for LDs until mid-January and it was February when the IEP was written and implemented.  So we had the meeting for this year.  I'm wondering if it would be "yearly" as in, still in February, since that's when our initial meeting was; or "yearly" as in end-of-the-year in prep for next year or beginning-of-year in prep for that year.  If that makes sense?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Quoting jamianne:

Sorry, I probably should clarify.  We didn't request to have him evaluated for LDs until mid-January and it was February when the IEP was written and implemented.  So we had the meeting for this year.  I'm wondering if it would be "yearly" as in, still in February, since that's when our initial meeting was; or "yearly" as in end-of-the-year in prep for next year or beginning-of-year in prep for that year.  If that makes sense?

It's always a year after the IEP is implemented. 

There's no way schools could do all the IEPs at the end or beginning of each school year. There wouldn't be time to hold the meetings or write the IEPs. 

His date will change a little each year because he needs to have earlier than he did the year before so it won't lapse. But it's always going to be about a year after the last meeting. 

What do you think would need to change for the next grade level? Usually there's nothing on them that's really grade level specific because the students have the same IEP during 2 school years. 

jamianne
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:48 PM

That's kinda what I was wondering.  I know there were things that we discussed at the meeting that were not put in for this year (I guess I should say 'grade') since they weren't applicable, but they will be next year (grade) and I didn't want to wait until February to have them added.  

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

The meeting won't be before the end of this year. It will probably be be around December or January because it has to be before the annual review date or the IEP will lapse. So most school schedule early in case anything delays the meeting. 

But like you said, that doesn't mean they can't make changes before the new school year starts. But when they write the IEP they are planning for it to go into the next school year so usually anything that would be needed for the next year would be included in this year's.

If you decide to make changes it's still the big meeting with all the people that would be at the annual meeting. The main point of the annual review is to check the student's progress on his IEP goals and determine what areas the student currently needs to focus on. So writing a whole new IEP now doesn't make sense since your child hasn't had the time to work on the goals written for him February.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM

What kinds of things are you talking about?

Quoting jamianne:

That's kinda what I was wondering.  I know there were things that we discussed at the meeting that were not put in for this year (I guess I should say 'grade') since they weren't applicable, but they will be next year (grade) and I didn't want to wait until February to have them added.  

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

jamianne
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM

We're looking at things such as extra test time and having tests read out loud to him.  We discussed it at the initial meeting but it wasn't included in the IEP since it wasn't applicable for 1st grade.  They're given whatever time they need for tests and the problems are read out loud for the entire class.  They did say that for 2nd, it would need to be included.  I guess looking at it now it probably should have been there all along.  I think that's why I'm a little confused.  I got the impression that this was something that would be added in for the next school year - which we can do anyway.  It just wouldn't be the annual meeting.  Now I think I've got it!

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Quoting jamianne:

We're looking at things such as extra test time and having tests read out loud to him.  We discussed it at the initial meeting but it wasn't included in the IEP since it wasn't applicable for 1st grade.  They're given whatever time they need for tests and the problems are read out loud for the entire class.  They did say that for 2nd, it would need to be included.  I guess looking at it now it probably should have been there all along.  I think that's why I'm a little confused.  I got the impression that this was something that would be added in for the next school year - which we can do anyway.  It just wouldn't be the annual meeting.  Now I think I've got it!

The extra time thing shouldn't be an issue in second grade either. 

Reading tests to him is something he might need next year, but then again he might not. 

It's important not to include things because they might help the student. What's the IEP should be the things the student really needs day to day.  So they really can't put something because he might need it in the future. They can add it when the time comes that he does need it. 

jamianne
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM

That makes sense.  I think I got stuck on the whole "middle of the year" thing that I panicked.  For some reason, I focused on the yearly meeting as when "big" changes would be made and kept thinking 'what good is it if he's going to struggle for half a year before we change something'.  I keep forgetting that things can be changed as needed.  Thanks!  I feel better (if a bit of an idiot) now!

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Quoting jamianne:

That makes sense.  I think I got stuck on the whole "middle of the year" thing that I panicked.  For some reason, I focused on the yearly meeting as when "big" changes would be made and kept thinking 'what good is it if he's going to struggle for half a year before we change something'.  I keep forgetting that things can be changed as needed.  Thanks!  I feel better (if a bit of an idiot) now!

Not one tiny bit of an idiot. 

You are concerned and asking questions just like you should be!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN