Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Does your child's school (or the school you work at) have a school garden?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 50 Replies
2 moms liked this

Annie's is offering grants for new or existing school gardens. Parents, teachers, and school administration can apply for the grant.

http://www.annies.com/school-gardens/grants-for-gardens/grant-application/

The school I work at has a huge reading garden with plants, a pond, seating area, etc. I applied for a grant last fall and was able to start a food garden.

My co-worker who works at my son's school just started a small food garden a few weeks ago. They already had two reading gardens.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM
There is no garden at my child's school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gcstar42
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM

No but that is a nice idea.

Precious333
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Cool! We homeschool and the kids and i started gardening yesterday! It was so fun, my 2 yr old helped too. We have marigolds, strawberries, sugar snap peas, radishes, beets, carrots, cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes and swiss chard :) i still have some more seeds im waiting to plant :)
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM
No. I've never seen a school garden anywhere I've taught.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:02 PM

The FFA at our HS runs a green house.  Other than that, there aren't any gardens on the school grounds, we do have tons of trees and green space though since we are in the country.  In fact there is more grassy areas than paved areas on our school's property.

I have no idea who/what Annie's is, sorry.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:04 PM

My son's school does not, but other schools in our district and across the metro do have community gardens.

Our local neighborhood has a community garden, and our local rec center has one too. We do not participate in either. 

JeremysMom
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

The FFA at our HS runs a green house.  Other than that, there aren't any gardens on the school grounds, we do have tons of trees and green space though since we are in the country.  In fact there is more grassy areas than paved areas on our school's property.

Annie's is a organic/natural food company.

JeremysMom
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Quoting KairisMama:

No. I've never seen a school garden anywhere I've taught.

Oh, wow! There are school gardens at nearly every county school and a few city schools were I live at. In fact, one school in my state (about an hour from us), has won many national awards for their school garden and the curriculum that they have designed. I went there last fall for a garden workshop. It was amazing. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Annie's is a organic/natural food company.

Ah, we don't have that company around here. Honestly, I am in the middle of writing 3 grants for more important things for our school. Two are for technology and one is for playground equipment. A grant for a garden isn't even close to a top priority.
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Farmtoschool.org is the organization my son's school district is involved in. It's not the same as a community garden, but it is a good organization.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)