Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

horrid handwritting?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:01 PM
  • 28 Replies

I am working on a plan for my kids this summer to help keep them working on things through the summer.  One thing I am wanting to work on with my oldest is handwriting.  His is horrid.  It is horrid.  Now, its not for lack of trying, or because his is lazy.  He is trying, but it just doesn't get better.  I am going to hook him up with a pen pal, and I have bought him a summer journal.  He also likes to write and draw comics, so I'm looking for some books that in in cosmic format for him.  

But does anyone have any suggestions or resources that can help direct me to something that we can do help improve his handwritting.  He has to write in cursive from this grade on till highschool I believe, but it wouldn't hurt him to work on print as well.  

Thanks!

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM

find one of those lined workbooks that has the letters to trace a few times. My SIL will erase my niece's work if it's not up to par with her normal work

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM

How old is your child?  By 3rd or 4th grade, our OT says a child's handwriting is pretty much formed.  I would have him write to people (penpal, family out of state, etc) but personally I hate summer workbooks so I wouldn't go near those.  I'd keep it fun and related to real life not drill and kill.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Dollar tree has the manuscript paper which is the 2 solid lines with a dotted in the middle.  Dry erase workbooks.  Has he been evaluated for his handwriting to get extra help?  My dd has OT for hers and she hates to write period.  If he is rushing to get the work done, encourage him to write slower.  Is he a leftie or rightie?

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Does the school have an OT that could evaluation his writing technique and give you some suggestions?

SaraBethKY
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM

There is a program called "Handwriting Without Tears" that I have heard mentioned before. I don't know if you have to be at a school to order it or anything, but I know that it one that I heard about it at my old job in IN and my new one here in KY. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM

How bad is it? I often have parents who think their child's writing is terrible when it's really just typical childhood handwriting. 

Honestly, at his age I would focus more on word processing. That's the skill he will need in the future. As long as his handwriting is legible the fact that it's not great really isn't going to impact him. 

corrinacs
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Hey!

My son has the same problem.  In the summer we are going to focus on reading, math and handwriting too!

Some ideas I've come across:

1. Sand tray.  Get a cheap tray and put colored sand in it.  He can write in the sand and its not quite so permanent.  A magnadoodle is another great tool to use.

2. Montessori sand letters.  Just google it.  Those really help!

3. $1 coloring books for letter writing at the dollar store!  They are a buck, so he can mess us as much as he wants.  My son also got a dry-erase book for Christmas once too!  He can erase and practice the letters over and over again!

4. Project dealing with the letters, but not necissarily writiing them.  There's a lot to writing, its eye-hand coordination.  I suggset having him glue ponpons onto a P, or make a pipe=cleaner into a P.  And then tracing the art project wiht his finger (same lines as Montessori sand letters).

Good luck!

corrinacs
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Oh, and sidewalk chalk!

daughteroftruth
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM

he is in 3rd grade, but was writing back and forth between left and right till sometime in the first grade, so that may be part of the issue. 

Quoting disneymom2two:

How old is your child?  By 3rd or 4th grade, our OT says a child's handwriting is pretty much formed.  I would have him write to people (penpal, family out of state, etc) but personally I hate summer workbooks so I wouldn't go near those.  I'd keep it fun and related to real life not drill and kill.

daughteroftruth
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM

It is bad, very bad.  His kindergarten age sister has much better handwritting than him.  His teacher and I have talked and yes, she agrees it is bad.  it is legible if you take the extra time to decipher it.. I mean it is bad.  

our school system is not to advanced and most of the work is still done of paper. 

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

How bad is it? I often have parents who think their child's writing is terrible when it's really just typical childhood handwriting. 

Honestly, at his age I would focus more on word processing. That's the skill he will need in the future. As long as his handwriting is legible the fact that it's not great really isn't going to impact him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)