Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good shoes for wide feet....

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM
  • 18 Replies

My 6 yr old son is big for his age and that includes his feet!  He has wide feet I am was looking for advice for shoes for him that wont break the bank.  Something around the $40 range.  We find shoes that fit just fine at Payless since they carry wide width but he runs through them in under 2 months.  He already wears a size 2 and some of the brands that I have found that fit him run $80 plus.  I think he may be taking after my father and brother.  They both wear size 14 extra wides lol.

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rosebud27aj
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

My 6 yor old wears a size 5 and has wide feet too....but we do spend some money on his shoes...we just bought a pair of Jordan's for like $80...we were buying Payless too, but they don't last long...last year we bought Jordan's too and only had to buy 2 pairs last year cause he grew out of them...

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is time to buy quality over quantity now since he is wearing them out so fast.   For summer time i would look for sandal type shoes with a thick sole.   I think skechers may run on the wider side than say nike but i could be wrong

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

My son got my wide feet. :( I look at the skater style shoes. They're pretty durable and slightly wider than regular sneakers. I usually buy him Vans, Converse, the new Nike skater shoes, and Osiris. I found that DCs don't last as long as those other brands.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

I think it is time to buy quality over quantity now since he is wearing them out so fast.   For summer time i would look for sandal type shoes with a thick sole.   I think skechers may run on the wider side than say nike but i could be wrong

Nike is more narrow, unless you get their skater style shoe.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, to save money, I shop at Famous Footwear. I'm part of their club, so they email me coupons and sales. My son is slower growing, so I usually do the buy one get one 1/2 off sale at the start of the school year in addition to whatever coupons they mail me or email me. I spend about $45-60 on two pairs of shoes, and those usually last him the whole school year.

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Famous footwear is the only place I've found shoes that fit my daughter well. She has wide feet. Payless does have the wide width shoes, but like you said, they are cheap and a huge waste of money.

Txlisa7969
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM

My middle daughter (13) loves skater style shoes and I did notice she takes a size smaller than normal in those.  Her favorite are Osiris.  I may look into those for him especially at the beginning of school next year.  I don't really mind investing money in good quality shoes.  It's just this past January we bought him a pair of super hero converse and I even made sure and bought him a 1/2 size larger.  He had a growth spurt and got to wear them all off 2 months or so.  Oh well, the joys of growing kids!  Luckily my girls are about done growing (they are 13 and 15). 

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I'll buy the largest size possible when shoe shopping, and sometimes I can buy larger than 1/2 a size up--depending on the fit of the shoe. The staff at Famous Footwear have helped me identify when a shoe is too large. Basically if the heel pops out too easily of the shoe, then it's too big.

Quoting Txlisa7969:

My middle daughter (13) loves skater style shoes and I did notice she takes a size smaller than normal in those.  Her favorite are Osiris.  I may look into those for him especially at the beginning of school next year.  I don't really mind investing money in good quality shoes.  It's just this past January we bought him a pair of super hero converse and I even made sure and bought him a 1/2 size larger.  He had a growth spurt and got to wear them all off 2 months or so.  Oh well, the joys of growing kids!  Luckily my girls are about done growing (they are 13 and 15). 

Txlisa7969
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks so much!  I googled them and found that there is a store a town over from us where we do most of our clothes/shoe shopping do I will definitely be checking them out.

Quoting Barabell:

I'll buy the largest size possible when shoe shopping, and sometimes I can buy larger than 1/2 a size up--depending on the fit of the shoe. The staff at Famous Footwear have helped me identify when a shoe is too large. Basically if the heel pops out too easily of the shoe, then it's too big.

Quoting Txlisa7969:

corrinacs
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Stride Rite :).  Go to Zappos.com.  Free shipping, and if the shoes don't fit, then you can return them.  But they have great prices.  My infant son has to get wide shoes, too :/.

I think they make Stride Rite for the bigger kids!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)