Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Ideas to get my son ready for school

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM
  • 13 Replies
My 5 year old starts school in the fall. I have been trying to work with him on things they say he needs to know. But he gets so bored with it. I need some good ideas to make it fun for him. He knows most of it but I want him to be ready all the way. His sister wasn't all the way ready and now I am have some troubles with her reading and stuff. Please help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Put him in preschool.

DenversMommy07
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM
He was in preschool but I work nights and when he was in preschool I never got to spend any time with him or his brother so they stay at home now
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I would get him into story time at the library.  I would see if there were any homeschooling resources for helping him at home.   What are you going to do if you work nights when he is in kindergarten, pull him out again? My dd was at a big disadvantage since we could not afford preschool.  She is very book smart but has alot of social delays that could have been addressed sooner.

DenversMommy07
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM
No I won't pull him out of school. But yes I did pull him out of preschool cause I never saw him plus I could not no afford cause at the time I was a single mom. But he is pretty book smart and he has social skills.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM

My four year old is in Pre K half a day, I know he is going to be ready for Kindergarten next year.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:57 PM

This is tough to say.

On the one hand, you don't want to burn him out.  On the other you don't want him to forget it all.

I say break it up into small intervals.  Instead of drilling shapes and colors for an hour, have him pick the round orange fruit at the grocery store, count out 8 ears of yellow corn, etc.  Work the lessons into your daily life!

With counting, I like to use food.  I tell DS to count X chips for his lunch, or he can have X many raisins.  We count the bread to make sandwiches.  I teach him about measuring when scooping ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, or soup.  Etc.

sweetr0se
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:59 PM

There's lots of things: potty train, ABCs, 123s, routine, list of chores and bedtime routine!

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

If you let him have computer time, try these websites:

http://www.starfall.com/

http://www.coolmath-games.com/

Starfall has reading games and Coolmathgames has, well, math : )

Don't forget about things like making sure he can put on and zip his jacket/coat himself, use the restroom alone, tie/velcro his shoes on his own, follow directions well, sit quietly when asked, share things, and work on his own.Those are things that make life so much easier on both him and the teacher in the classroom.

DenversMommy07
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM
He can do all that he can do a lot of it they want him to do just want him to be really ready
Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Letter sounds fluency, blending, segmenting and sight words are 4 skills I would focus on.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)