Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Riding bikes

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 23 Replies

Do you let your kids ride bikes without sitting outside?  If so, how old are they?  Mine love riding bikes but I always make sure to sit outside because I'm so scared someones going to drive up and take them. 

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Nope. But we don't have a place on our property for them to ride. We have a park/play ground literally across the street in our subdivision, but they aren't allowed to go without an adult. I will allow them to go out back and play if I'm in the kitchen.
SahmTam
by Tammy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM

When my kids were little I was out with them, but not anymore. They ride out on the roads alone now- they are 12, 9, and 7. I wouldn't let my 7yo ride out of sight alone, but he is always with the older kids- if he's with them he can. They just have to let me know when they leave, where they will be exactly, and where they are going/how long they will be so that I would know if it's been too long and I need to look for them.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I don't anymore. Our street has a culdsac and they are allowed to ride there in the street. Otherwise they have to stay on our sidewalk. My kids are 8 and 10. Or street has cars that drive by, but isn't a busy street. They have been drilled over the yrs to look for cars.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Yes, I do. They are 14, 9, and 7. The 7 y/o isn't allowed to go very far, but the older 2 go all over the subdivision. I do send them w/ a walkie-talkie so I can call them home and they can call me if their bike messes up or they get hurt (ds2, the 9 y/o, fell off his bike yesterday and called me to come get him; love those walkie-talkies!).

jamianne
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM

No.  We live on a busy street (side street to a major highway) and there's too much foot-traffic for them to ride on the sidewalk.  They're only 6 & 4, so we stay with them, even at the park.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Yes, I have for years. Mine are 13,12, and 10. I have never believed that a complete stranger was going to drive up and "take" them. Lol
mamadee1971
by Dionne on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM

The driveway is too small for them to ride, so I take the kids to the park, where there's plenty of room.

TJandKarasMom
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM
We live on a dead end road with 6 houses after us, it's not a busy road at all. But I still go outside at this point. Mine will be 10 and 11 this summer, I think by the end of the summer I will let them ride in the street without me..but they always have to be within sight of each other, same rules whenever they are outside without a parent.
soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Mine are 17, 15, 13, and 7 and they all can go outside without me.  However, I usually send one of the older ones with the youngest.  

family in the van   Mom of four

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:04 PM
My 8 yr old can ride without me, but not my 3yr old
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)