Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you think this story is appropriate? UPDATE...

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM
  • 52 Replies

Mobile Photo

So this is the story that was sent home for my DS homework. He is 7 and in the 2nd grade, I feel that it is story that is presented in a bad manner especially for his age group. We don't use the words fat, stupid, and dumb as describing words in my home and even though it is about a bird I feel that it was not presented in the most tasteful way. What do you ladies think about the story?

UPDATE: Thank you ladies for all the replies! I want to say I am not angry/mad/hurt/offened ect. about the story. I feel that it was inaccurate after reading more crediable sources on the dodo bird, and I feel it was written in a distasteful manner. I was ultimately shocked that this came from my ds's teacher. i never once said my ds's doesn't know these words of course he does and he has used them before. I am saying these are not descrptive words that I prefer to use in my home we can use other words to get our point across. My son is 7 of course he slips and uses not nice words in fact him and a group of boys recently got in trouble for calling each other "fart face". The teacher preached to me about it being profanity and she feels profanity is any word you would not comfortably call another adult to their face. So in this teachers explination this is full of profanity. I guess I was more shocked and trying to get a take on if it were school appropriate due to the teachers explination of profanity. KWIM? Thanks again ladies

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM

if it is a history story then they have to write it as recorded.  You can impress for your family that we do not use those words even though it was in the story.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM
6 moms liked this
The story is explaining the origin of the bird's name using descriptors the kids will understand. I don't think it's inappropriate at all.
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM
6 moms liked this

I agree with Mjande4. It's just a story explaining the origin of the bird's name. It;s using the WORDS that were used to give the bird it's name and reasons for the name. I do not think it's inappropriate. We are not going to always be able to shield our precious snowflakes from words we don't like. But we can use the words as a teachable moment to explain to the child WHY we don;t care to use these words.

KristenFowles
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM

It's fine.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM

A ton of us have read huck finn, tom sawyer, etc all that contain distasteful words but we learned those are not ok to use today, right?

Quoting kmrtigger:

I agree with Mjande4. It's just a story explaining the origin of the bird's name. It;s using the WORDS that were used to give the bird it's name and reasons for the name. I do not think it's inappropriate. We are not going to always be able to shield our precious snowflakes from words we don't like. But we can use the words as a teachable moment to explain to the child WHY we don;t care to use these words.

agrisham13mom
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I spoke with DS about how the story has words that we do not use and why we should not use them. He understands that they are not nice words. I am just saying that I felt it was presented in a distasteful way and I feel that for a 2nd grade class it is not nessesarily the best choice for the purpose of it. This story is not used as part of a history lesson it is used as their fluency and comprehension. They have not been learning about the dodo bird and have not discussed the topic in class. I think if you were having a lesson plan about the dodo bird and it's orgins where the teacher is discussing the meaning of the name that is one thing. Thanks for all your ladies responses on the topic :)

honeydewmommy
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I agree

Quoting mjande4:

The story is explaining the origin of the bird's name using descriptors the kids will understand. I don't think it's inappropriate at all.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Dumb is a legitimate word that is part of our language. It can be used inappropriately, but it's not here. 

I don't see what the issue is. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Quoting agrisham13mom:

I spoke with DS about how the story has words that we do not use and why we should not use them. He understands that they are not nice words. I am just saying that I felt it was presented in a distasteful way and I feel that for a 2nd grade class it is not nessesarily the best choice for the purpose of it. This story is not used as part of a history lesson it is used as their fluency and comprehension. They have not been learning about the dodo bird and have not discussed the topic in class. I think if you were having a lesson plan about the dodo bird and it's orgins where the teacher is discussing the meaning of the name that is one thing. Thanks for all your ladies responses on the topic :)

It's a passage for fluency practice. It's not supposed to be tied into lessons from class. If fluency passages are on topics the students are studying the scores aren't an accurate reflection of reading skills because the students will recognize words that would be unfamiliar if they hadn't been learning about the topic. 

It comes from a fluency program. I'm pretty sure I've used the same one. Honestly, it never occurred to me that anyone would find it offensive or inappropriate. 

agrisham13mom
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Thanks for your response.. I should note that I looked up the dodo bird prior to discussing it with DS and prior to posting this. I didn't find any postings that use the words fat or dumb and only found 1 post using the word stupid. So this isn't accurately stating the history of this bird. I am trying to point out that there is a more tasteful way to present this information especially to 2nd graders. I am not mad about it just kind of taken back I guess..

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting agrisham13mom:

It's a passage for fluency practice. It's not supposed to be tied into lessons from class. If fluency passages are on topics the students are studying the scores aren't an accurate reflection of reading skills because the students will recognize words that would be unfamiliar if they hadn't been learning about the topic. 

It comes from a fluency program. I'm pretty sure I've used the same one. Honestly, it never occurred to me that anyone would find it offensive or inappropriate. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN