Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

should i expect more?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 19 Replies
ds is in the first grade. he has forgotten his homework since friday. personally i feel its his job as a student to remember it. friday i didnt hand out a punishment since it was a first time thing. i just reminded him i expect him to bring it home. monday i reminded him before school but he forgot. i had him write 30 lines that said i will remember my homework. i reminded him again today. yet again he forgot. i doubled the amount of lines. is that too much?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:11 PM

For my dd it would be.   I take away privileges rather than writing lines.   Does he understand why he is writing these lines?   I think 60 is too many.   25-30 each time he forgets, not a punishment that escalates.

JeremysMom
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Honestly, I do think that is a bit much. Is he leaving his homework at school or at home? Help him set up a system to remember.
SahmTam
by Tammy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM

It is a lot. He's so young- maybe you could mount a chalk or dry erase board somewhere near where he exits for the day with a check off list of what needs to be done each morning, including making sure the homework is in the backpack. It might help it to become more routine.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I don't think writing lines is the best consequence. 

I would take away a privilege. Forcing students to write lines can lead to a real disdain for writing. 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM

What is the one thing he looks forward to doing after school? Take that away until he remembers to bring home the homework assignments.

janitablue
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I agreed with the Max. I usually take away privilege and also reward when he does good.

mommy06and09
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM
he is leaving it at school. he gets homework every friday that is to be turned in the following friday. this gives him an entire week to complete the assignment thankfully. i have thought about just going and getting the assignment myself like i did last year. hes usually really good about these things so im not sure whats going on. and yes he understands why hes writing the lines. he has been doing it since he was about 4.

Quoting JeremysMom:

Honestly, I do think that is a bit much. Is he leaving his homework at school or at home? Help him set up a system to remember.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I wouldn't do lines, but that's me. I'm more likely to take away a privilege.  Since this is the first time this is happening, I'd look for ways/system to help him remember rather than come down harshly.  If it continues, then take away privileges.

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:19 PM
We do dictionary definitions. Responsibility comes to mind...
JeremysMom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:36 AM
Does he have a folder that he brings home with papers everyday? My son's school gives every child a homework folder. In kindergarten and first grade the teacher puts their papers in the folder for them. In second grade they start to transition from the teacher checking their folder and putting the papers in their to the student doing it. I would see if there is a system to help him remember at school. Also, I realize that writing sentences are what we did as students but there is a reason why teachers don't have students write sentences for punishment anymore- it's counterproductive.

Quoting mommy06and09:

he is leaving it at school. he gets homework every friday that is to be turned in the following friday. this gives him an entire week to complete the assignment thankfully. i have thought about just going and getting the assignment myself like i did last year. hes usually really good about these things so im not sure whats going on. and yes he understands why hes writing the lines. he has been doing it since he was about 4.

Quoting JeremysMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN