Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

would you tell your friend

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM
  • 12 Replies

so a bunch of 2nd grade girls stole books from the book fair at school. My daughter told on them and they in turn said that she did it too. They later admitted that they lied. Meanwhile some children went home and told their parents that my daughter stole books and one was a friend of mine. Would you tell your friend if you heard that their child was invovled in something like stealing? I am mortified that this rumor has gone around and of course the other parents will never hear that my daughter did not do tis.

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I would inquire to get all sides of the story.

family in the van   Mom of four

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:08 PM

If there was a way to tactfully bring it up, yes I probably would. 

Precious333
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Yes, i would, because i would want to know if my child was involved in something like that.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I would want to someone to tell me if any of my kids did something like that. 

Having said that, I hate confrontation, so whether I said something or not would depend on how close of friends we are, or if we are neighbors or not.

Fairegirl33
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Yes, I would want my friend to tell me... gently.  

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM

It would depend on how good a friend that she was.  Here's the thing.  To some it could look like you are trying to deflect the blame off of your daughter and even though she was innocent that's not going to undo the image.  I don't think it's your place to tell the other parents anything to tell you the truth.  IF items were stolen on school property, then that is a disciplinary matter that needs to be handled by the administration.  Because you will never be privy to that information, it's highly probable that those other parents already know and disciplinary procedures are in place.

WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Yes, I would tell my friend and I'd hope she'd tell me also.
BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM

This. Our neighborhood is so intertwined with everyday life, I try not to rock the boat. However, I'd want to know whatever the truth was.

Quoting wakymom:

I would want to someone to tell me if any of my kids did something like that. 

Having said that, I hate confrontation, so whether I said something or not would depend on how close of friends we are, or if we are neighbors or not.

corrinacs
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Well, how it effecting your daughter?  If its causing problems at school or with the relationship between you and your friend, then yes.  

But perhaps you could start the conversation nonchelantly.  Just say "gosh, I heard about your daughter at the bookfair....how did you feel about her doing that and what did you do?".  

If you open the conversation lightly, then she will more than likely respond to you better.  If she mentions your daughter, just say "they did an investigation and she turned out to be innocent".

Hope that helps!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM
How wide spread was it. I would ask the teacher to send a note home saying something to the effect of, " We know you have heard from your child that there were incidents of theft from 3 students at the book fair. There were also students falsely accused.

We want to thank those students who were honest and to let you know that the incident was handled. Thank you for your support!"
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)