Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

S/O Do you police your child's school work?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 32 Replies

I noticed a few posts in the last week where parents are objecting to their child's schoolwork because they find it inappropriate/offensive or are questioning whether certain books belong in school libraries.

I wonder if we are taking being politically correct too far. Where do we draw the line?

Do we remove all the classic literature from school libraries because of questionable content or language?

Should we not teach history for the same reasons?

Should we ban certain adjectives from lessons and the classroom because parents may not want their children to learn 'hurtful' words?

Where is the line?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM
6 moms liked this

I have a HUGE problem with political correctness.  In addition, schools/districts/teachers get their materials from a variety of sources and that's a GOOD thing.  No parent is going to agree 100% with every part of the school curriculum unless they are homeschooling.  To pick apart lessons or books is just childish.  Use those times that you disagree with the content as a teaching tool with YOUR OWN kids.  It's better to teach them your values and beliefs in this manner then to forbid/shelter them.  Children need problem solving skills and this is the first step.

Fairegirl33
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree !

MORE classical literature and history NEEDS to be in our classrooms IMO.

My dd is reading To Kill a Mockingbird and she loves it.

Quoting mjande4:

I have a HUGE problem with political correctness.  In addition, schools/districts/teachers get their materials from a variety of sources and that's a GOOD thing.  No parent is going to agree 100% with every part of the school curriculum unless they are homeschooling.  To pick apart lessons or books is just childish.  Use those times that you disagree with the content as a teaching tool with YOUR OWN kids.  It's better to teach them your values and beliefs in this manner then to forbid/shelter them.  Children need problem solving skills and this is the first step.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM

That is such a powerful piece of literature!!

Quoting Fairegirl33:

I agree !

MORE classical literature and history NEEDS to be in our classrooms IMO.

My dd is reading To Kill a Mockingbird and she loves it.

Quoting mjande4:

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I think our society has taken things too far.  Parents rather be friends than parents.  Question every decision a teacher makes.  I don't  interfere with what my kids teacher teaches, I wouldn't want a parent telling me what to teach.  

family in the van   Mom of four

corrinacs
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I think you ahve a great point.  I do agree, that some of the homework and assignements I have seen have crossed the line....but I have seen some that really aren't that huge of a deal!  The teachers have objectives they have to teach.  Our world was not as politically correct as it is now....and I think its super important that our children learn that!  The only way we can learn from our past is if we know what happened, why it happened!  Even at a young age, kids are able to understand the full meaning of things more than we'd like to admit.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I have no idea.... 
I look it over to make sure it was done and turned in with a teacher mark on it (yes, the teachers will put a check on things that weren't graded so I know they saw it... as this was an issue with an older child)......

then I recycle it... I don't look it over. 

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Only to make certain that it is completed, because a parent must sign it every day.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I wonder if I'm extremely liberal because I haven't seen an assignment yet that I consider that crosses some imaginary line, and I feel my son has had a pretty diverse education so far.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel the same way.  Then again, I'm not very politically correct.

Quoting Barabell:

I wonder if I'm extremely liberal because I haven't seen an assignment yet that I consider that crosses some imaginary line, and I feel my son has had a pretty diverse education so far.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM

DD came home with a very graphic book for a 1st grader so we returned it in exchange for another.  The librarian agreed that a first grader does not need to see those pictures especially when prone to bad dreams to start with. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN