Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

problems with writing b and d

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 21 Replies
Dd is finishing 1st grade in a couple months. And I notice that she is still having problems mixing up b and d. I caught it on her homework and had her correct it.

Should I worry? Its the only thing she is messing up on.

I've told her the b bump goes to the right and the d bump goes to the left.

Help.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM

no, still developmentally normal

corrinacs
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM

No, its a super common thing to mess up, so I woudln't worry.  But have her work on it!

I always rememberd it like this.  And uppercase B has the extra hump, take away the top hump and you gotta a lower case b.  The d, then, must be the other way :).

JodyLane555
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM
my dd had the same issue. we just worked on it after school writing b and d coming up with codes and helpful ways to remember
WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I wouldn't worry about it to much, maybe just practice at home more she's still young.
a06z08mama
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM
She does fine with uppercase. My "short" name starts with a B. So she does fine with those. Its just lower case.

*Homework time is a touchy subject. She goes to her dads after school. And when she gets home at 7 she has to do homework. Bath and bed by 8. He refuses to help.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:46 AM

My younger son had problems with that into second grade.  He is now in third and no longer has that problem, I'm not really sure when he got it figured out. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM
We were told not to worry about it with DS until at least 2nd grade. It fixed on it's own.
rsrangel
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM
My son is nearing the end of 2nd grade, and he recently just stopped doing that. My kindergartner gets confused too. Its normal, don't worry.
aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Mine knows to write it but still reads it wrong sometimes. Same age...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fairegirl33
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I posted about this in another group earlier....

My DD used to have this problem also, this is the trick we used.

Hold both hands up in the shape of an L, put thumbs together.   This will make a "bed".  B and the D will look like the head and foot board of a bed.  This helped her figure out which way the b and d goes and of course the e will go where the thumbs are.

I hope I explained that well...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)