Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

extracurricular

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM
  • 36 Replies
what extracurricular activities are your children involved in, and how old were they when you first started them?
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My son does Tae Kwon Do, which he really loves.  He's a green belt now :)

We are also thinking about signing him up for cub scouts.  We will see what the schedue for that is like.

plprincess78
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:00 PM

My son is 6 and is in Tae Kwon Do as well.  He started at 5.  My daughter is 8 and started dance at 4..but she's now in gymnastics.

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

My girls all started soccer at age 4. My dd3 is trying softball for the first year this year and she is 9.

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM

My kids are 9 and 12.  They both started EA at around the age of 3.  They've done soccer, karate (still), swim (seasonal), golf (seasonal), and we bike ride as a family.  My son is also in the school choir (which requires out of school activities) and Boyscouts.  My daughter is also in school choir (just finished for the year) and Girlscouts.

toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM
My daughter is in dance and soccer. She started dance a few months after turning 3, and soccer when she was 4. She is 7 now. My son plays soccer, and started when he was 4 also. He is 6 now. He did dance for a year when he was 3, but didn't like it.
paytonleximomma
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM

My 11 yr daughter is in dance, softball and volleyball.  My 7 yr old son is in Tiger Scouts, baseball, football and wrestling. 

diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM
My 14 year old has played soccer since he was 5 years old. He did soccer for a couple of years. My 11 year old has played basketball since he was 5 years old. My 8 year old started karate this month. He used to play soccer. My four year old starts basketball in September, he will be five years old. He used to do gymnastics.
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:15 PM

My oldest is 7 and has taken Karate since she was 4. She is a red/brown belt and her Senseis and I discussed it and have decided to hold her at this belt ranking for about a year since she is so young. None of us want an 8 year old black belt. 

My youngest is 4.5 and takes Karate as well. She just started about a month ago though. 

There are days that we are at the dojo for 3 hours..and we are there 5-6 days per week between the 2 of them. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM

My son is 13, and he has a lot of EC activities throughout the year.

Hockey, and he started that when 6. He plays all winter and belongs to an offseason team which is active right now.

Soccer, and he started that when he was 5...took a break for a few years...then started up again when I found summer programs that didn't overlap with the hockey season.

Tennis lessons, this will be his 3rd summer of those.

Boy Scouts, he started as a cub scout when he was in 2nd or 3rd grade.

He started doing afterschool activities just this month, and he joined an anime and Yu Gi Oh club. He also goes to a cooking class on Wednesdays. He's really enjoying the activities, but the options change a lot.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Oh boy we used to do gymnastics with ds from 18 months to 3 years.  I was hoping it would help him develop some physical skills.  He didn't jump until 3 and never has liked rolling.

He did kung fu for a while at 4.  But once again it was hard because he didn't like the physical movement and he was afraid of being in the room with all of the kids hitting and kicking the air.

He did aikido for a while at 5 but he didn't like the rolls.

He has done AWANA since birth.  

He tried soccer but it was too unorganized for him.

He is in his second season of tee ball.  He loves that.

Through his charter school he has done an art class and pottery.  Aikido was through them too.

He's in 4-H now.

DD just turned 3.  So far she does AWANA and participates in my son's workshops at school.  I want to put her in a dance class or something just for her but I haven't decided on one yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)